Sign in to follow this  

What should I do with my CRf250X

HI Everyone,

I just bought a slightly used CRF250X 2012. All stock.

Took it for my first ride yesterday and loved it, really loved it.

Can anyone make any suggestions as to what I should be doing to it to ensure it performs well, besides the usual oil change?

Are there some performance tweaks I could/should do?

Thanks VERY much

Cheers

Don't get yourself ducked into that world. Perform regular maintenance and ride that Damn thing. When you get into mx racing added parts like myself and a lit others.

That wallet gets thin and could be better spent elsewhere.

On another note

My new levers are coming sometime soon hopefully and my kick starter broke so i get a new one.

Got a brand new pipe re did whole motor need to bleed breaks and what else can i buy!?!?!?!? :D

time to shop online!

• Like 3

New pipe and airbox mod and jetting will really wake that bike up a ton. other than that, leave it be.

The best maintenance is preventive maintenance.  Clean the air filter every ride (I have two filters so I only clean them every other ride).  Change oil every 5 hours or so.  And check wheel bearings, shock bearings, steering stem bearings, linkage bearings every ride!!  That only takes a few seconds, but can save you hundreds of $$s in wheel hubs and other destroyed equipment.

Torque your forks every ride to spec.  Just comb over the bike, and learn to enjoy the maintenance process!

• Like 1

The best maintenance is preventive maintenance.  Clean the air filter every ride (I have two filters so I only clean them every other ride).  Change oil every 5 hours or so.  And check wheel bearings, shock bearings, steering stem bearings, linkage bearings every ride!!  That only takes a few seconds, but can save you hundreds of $$s in wheel hubs and other destroyed equipment.

Torque your forks every ride to spec.  Just comb over the bike, and learn to enjoy the maintenance process!

+1 on the suspension disassembly and grease it's 2 years old and probably has none in those bearings . Buy a service manual #1 thing . super cheap on disc , ebay. 

i would definatly grease the linkage ion the shock headstock axles etc ,then b4 you start to spend any money on it personalise it make it fit you that my be a bar preference seat pegs ,suspension what ever makes it work for you then when that is done and your comfy and everything works how you want it you will see where you should invest your money to improve it for you everyone has there own ideas what a bike should do and how it should do it take your time and enjoy the process after some time on the bike you will know what to do with it ....good luck happy trails

Thanks very much LOP.

Can you give me some direction on how to check the bearings. I suppose I should find that in the service manual...:)

Also, what is the best method of torquing the forks..?

Cheers

i would definatly grease the linkage ion the shock headstock axles etc ,then b4 you start to spend any money on it personalise it make it fit you that my be a bar preference seat pegs ,suspension what ever makes it work for you then when that is done and your comfy and everything works how you want it you will see where you should invest your money to improve it for you everyone has there own ideas what a bike should do and how it should do it take your time and enjoy the process after some time on the bike you will know what to do with it ....good luck happy trails

Cheers Twigster.

Can you recommend any good grease..?

Thanks

Thanks very much LOP.

Can you give me some direction on how to check the bearings. I suppose I should find that in the service manual... :)

Cheers

Wheel bearings--with the axles still tightened up, bike on the stand, grab the top of the wheel and move it side to side.  It should be tight with not even the slightest clicking/wiggling.  I rode one ride after there was a slight detection of the wheel bearings being worn out, and I destroyed the hub.  That cost over $300!!

Steering stem bearings--bike on stand again, pull the front wheel "up" to flex the forks.  Everything should feel tight with no play in the bearings. 

Shock/linkage bearings--bike on stand, lift the rear wheel up and down to compress the shock just a little bit.  Going up and down there shouldn't be any play in the bearings.

• Like 1

Thanks very much LOP.

Can you give me some direction on how to check the bearings. I suppose I should find that in the service manual... :)

Cheers

All this info is in your owners manual. All this info is in your service manual. :facepalm:  :banghead:  :facepalm:  :banghead:

for anything that going to get wet and in the thick mud i.e bottom linkages axles etc i use a waterproof grease but just cos its w/proof doesnt mean longer service intervals you still should go through it all after a serious wet /muddy ride  you should also have some copper slip for your brake pads oh man i am a boring git i have pots of grease for different stuff just find a good grease which wont dry from a well known manufacturer i guess your in the states so take your pick and go through the bike taking care to keep it clean when you reasemble it really will add years to your bike i have an 00 cr 250 bught it new and i am still riding racing on original wheel bearings i have recently changed the shock linkage and i have been beach racing in sand and racing in the english mud for over a decade take care of your bike and it will take care of you ...HONDA they build a bike to last but only if you follow the plan which is maintenance good luck happy trail keep us informed

• Like 1

I dont recommend cleaning the air filter every ride.  You have an access door to look at it and can get a pretty good idea what condition it is in.  If you are riding alone alot you do not get much dirt into the air filter. Same thing if you are riding in nice damp loamy dirt.    The biggest chance for dirt to get into the engine happens during air filter service.  Also each cleaning shortens the life of your air filter.  Clean the air filter as needed.  If you were on a long dusty ride , you may need to change or clean it after 1 ride but I have found I do not often have to.  I look at it o make sure is not saturated with dirt and I touch it  around the top and bottom to make sure it is still tacky with oil.   I have gone as many as long rides on 1 air filter and I have also cleaned the air filter after 1. 

As far as performance mods. Your 2008 is set up pretty good from the factory.  I would open the air box and maybe put a silencer on it and rejet and enjoy.  Changing to the 250R does wonders for the earlier Xs but the 2008 cam is not as mild as the old X cams so not as much as a boost there. 

I would also add radiator guards as the radiators are fairly flimsy on this bike and it doesnt take much to damage them. 

• Like 1

Have the suspension set up for you. The best money you'll spend on it.

• Like 1

Get the JD jet kit it helps more than any mod I've done.  280 big bore, I got the L.A. Sleeve, I got this because the steel sleeve in my mind is stronger in such a thin cylinder.  The big bore only adds 26 cc, but for $500 it's worth the extra torque.  FMF Mega Bomb and Q pipe, the Mega Bomb is amazing.   An absolute must is a frame type radiator protector, I have the Moose version.  Needs a skid plate too.  The suspension is totally first class components, I agree that a professional setup would make it more fun to ride. BTW, my 2006 went five years before the valves needed adjusting, then they wore out rather quickly after that.  Fastheads fix that.  Use the Honda molybdenum oil in the engine.   

• Like 1