Sign in to follow this  

250sxf 2012 weird sound

Hi guys,

I'm posting for a friend, we are looking for new ideas of what could cause a sound like this.The bike started to make a weird noise, it sound like a slacked timing chain. The sound increase with the rpm.

Since this issue, we replaced the timing chain, gasket and tested a cam chain tensioner from another bike. The entire motor has been torn appart but all the bearings looks ok,

Any ideas? what is even more strange is that the bike run fine and is not more low on power than usual lol.

Since you've already replaced everything...

What does it sound like when you pull in the clutch? To me it sounds like a loose clutch hub or very worn clutch pins. If you pull in the clutch that will help rule that out.

My 2012 flogged out a valve guide and it was making a similar noise. New valve and new guide was the fix. As my bike was still under warranty the dealer replaced the cam chain and tensioner but it made no difference so it went back in and they finally figured out what it was. Worst thing was the bike had less than 10 hrs on it when it happened.

• Like 1

My 2012 flogged out a valve guide and it was making a similar noise. New valve and new guide was the fix. As my bike was still under warranty the dealer replaced the cam chain and tensioner but it made no difference so it went back in and they finally figured out what it was. Worst thing was the bike had less than 10 hrs on it when it happened.

Thank you Fazioli, that would make sens! my friend bought a stethoscope and the sound could likely come from a valve guide. Time to open the wallet I guess!