Sign in to follow this  

Colorado Where to ride with small kids

HI -

I have 3 small boys 4,6 & 9 riding CRF's. I want to get out and do some trial riding with them, but I hear horror stories about people ripping around blind corners/rises on some of the trials (Rampart).

Are there any trials which are good for kids (beginner) that would be safe and away from the fast riders.

Please could you also include a campground in/near these locations.

We live in south Denver and would travel around 90 minutes.

Thanks very much for any suggestions.

Cheers

Dutch Fred could work as well. Saint Mary's possibly. Granby? Probably just need to get them out and confident on the bike, not so much "trail" at first. G

I ride a lot up by red feather lakes area. A bit of a drive for down south people, but very very minimal crowds. Saint Mary's up by central city is a great area as well just to have fun with kids.

It's a little bit longer drive, but you would probably like the Kremmling/Wolford area. Lot's of easy fire roads and a nice little play area. Maps on Stay the Trail.

I've read about people going to Tarryall specifically for beginning/youth riders. It's not far from Denver, right down 285/Hampden Ave.

It's a little bit longer drive, but you would probably like the Kremmling/Wolford area. Lot's of easy fire roads and a nice little play area. Maps on Stay the Trail.

Is this area right off of route 40? They have a couple of places listed on stay the trail for Kremmling and Wolford . I am also looking for a easy place to take my wife and daughter, maybe on Sunday. Do you happen to know if the snow has cleared out from this area yet?

Trailrydr9, Yes, it is right off of 40, just outside the town of Kremmling. Basically right across the street from the airport, you turn where the BLM office and trailer park are located. Drive about a 1/2 mile and take a left and you will see the play area where most people like to park. There is a big map posted on the road there as well. Snow is completely gone from the entire area now. Lot's of dirt ranch roads, fire roads that go for miles with bits of single track that you run into all along the way if you want to divert to something a little more challenging. If you are looking for a great milk shake at the end of the day, hit up Shooters in the middle of town.

• Like 1

Thanks! Father's day ride this year! Should be fun!

trailrydr9, how did the ride work out for you? I rode there on Saturday and the conditions were good.

It was a good time! We stayed out to late for Shooters though :(. There was enough hills to keep it interesting for me, and lots of open trails for wife and kid. I tried to get videos of the ride, but I am still learning how to work the helmet camera, and had it off every time I thought it was on. Lesson learned. We will be back again for sure! Thanks for the tip!

By the way, there was a lot of mini riders there, and this made the girls feel right at home. Then we saw a kid that couldn't have been more than 4-5 on a 50, good to see how family friendly it was there. Some of the kids could ride really good! This was my wife's 5th or 6th real ride and she made some good progress. Her biggest fear is down hills, perfect place for this, because there is long, not to steep, hills that made her feel like she was kicking butt.

It was a good time! We stayed out to late for Shooters though :(. There was enough hills to keep it interesting for me, and lots of open trails for wife and kid. I tried to get videos of the ride, but I am still learning how to work the helmet camera, and had it off every time I thought it was on. Lesson learned. We will be back again for sure! Thanks for the tip!

Excellent - so glad to hear it worked out for you and the family. I am probably riding there this Saturday with a family with kids and a wife of a friend. I drive a taupe colored Silverado with a topper on it and ride a KTM 200XC-W. Say hello if you see me.

Best,

Kurt

Wont be able to make it out there this weekend, list of chores for around the house is piling up, and I only have Sunday and Mondays off from work.  There is a small chance that I may try for Sunday again, but that mostly depends on how much more Hunny Do happens between now and then.  I will most likely try to hit the new track in Hayden if time is limited though.