Why fear dual carbs?

A few years back I purchased a 1984 xr200 4-valve that needed a carb. cleaning.

I did the job and the bike ran perfectly for a long time.

The secondary carb is stone simple. No idle circuit and no adjustments. The linkage is fixed.  

The starting and running was flawless, except for the usual Honda leanness on the top.

The idle was an even putt, putt, putt, I could have walked away for an hour and it would idle perfectly.

I could brush beat at a walking pace and the bike was happier doing this than any other I,ve owned over the last 35 years.

If the bike didn't start on the second kick, I would drain the floatbowl and it would fire up instantly.

Then I would sit there with the choke on while the beast took its merry time warming up.

I have heard that problems can be caused by an air leak in the connector between carbs.

Why doesn't someone get to the bottom of this and help remove the stigma attached to these things?

I fail to see a problem.

I sold the bike recently, so I don't have a demonstrator.

Standard rebuild procedures really. I didn't split the carbs apart.  why make needless work? 

Anyways I've done this job on a number of small Hondas and I can leave a tip or two.

Allways  replace pilot jets with new OEM. They have very small passages that are hard to clean.

I believe that aftermarket, (in my experience), jets are not as good. Mains are usually not a problem.

I always use Stabil, and will still drain the float bowl if the bike has sit more than a few days.

Clean the tank and petcock and use an inline filter.

Pour from a funnel that has a screen in the bottom of it.

A few years back I purchased a 1984 xr200 4-valve that needed a carb. cleaning.

I did the job and the bike ran perfectly for a long time.

The secondary carb is stone simple. No idle circuit and no adjustments. The linkage is fixed.  

The starting and running was flawless, except for the usual Honda leanness on the top.

The idle was an even putt, putt, putt, I could have walked away for an hour and it would idle perfectly.

I could brush beat at a walking pace and the bike was happier doing this than any other I,ve owned over the last 35 years.

If the bike didn't start on the second kick, I would drain the floatbowl and it would fire up instantly.

Then I would sit there with the choke on while the beast took its merry time warming up.

I have heard that problems can be caused by an air leak in the connector between carbs.

Why doesn't someone get to the bottom of this and help remove the stigma attached to these things?

I fail to see a problem.

The problem is not everyone has a working knowledge of these and it's not as simple to work on.

Everyone acknowledges that they work just fine WHEN TUNED PROPERLY.

I think the fact that Honda went away from that setup VERY QUICKLY says all that needs said.