Kd 80

I may have a chance to pick up a KD 80 for a smokin deal.  I dont know any more about it other than its a KD 80 at the moment.  I am hoping to find out anything I can about these bikes.  Looks to me like they were built from about 1980 to 1986 or 1987.  The bike is disassembled at the moment but sounds like all of the parts are there.  Hasnt been run in a long time it.

What do I need to know about these bikes?

Are parts tough to find?

Will it be a decent little bike for an adult to screw around on?

Any info I can get would be awesome! Thanks!

For starters, it's a rotary valve engine.  Use the Clymers Kawasaki Air Cooled Singles repair manual.  You can find it on Amazon or ebay for under $10 used. I have a '79 KD100.  Paid $75 for it.  It only had a bad coil and was missing some parts.  Spent maybe another $200 and it runs excellent.  It's a pitbike size, nothing like a KX80 or anything like that.

IMG_5581.jpg

IMG_5257.jpg

Awesome Jeekinz

that exactly the type of info I am looking for. thanks

anyone else?

I am the proud new owner of a pile of parts...

I will try to get some pics tonight.  Hopefully I have everything

Looks to be a 1988 KD80X through the research I have done so far

Looks to be a 1988 KD80X through the research I have done so far

Then it's not a rotary and I'm not sure how available parts are compared to the older rotary KD80's.

I had absolutely no clue what the year or exact model was(still not 100%).  Based on pics I can find it looks like a 1988 KD80X, solid style wheels(no spokes), big metal gas tank, small seat.  I need to look on the frame to get a VIN hopefully.

for $150 im not too worried, it will be a fun little project either way.  Parts on ebay seemed somewhat available

They are sought after on the mini supermoto scene.Body parts are almost impossible to find, same story for chassis parts. Motor parts a little easier. Worth a small fortune in great shape. So rare..

They are sought after on the mini supermoto scene.Body parts are almost impossible to find, same story for chassis parts. Motor parts a little easier. Worth a small fortune in great shape. So rare..

Thats interesting to hear!  Is there a better place to find more info on them then?

Thats interesting to hear!  Is there a better place to find more info on them then?

Not that I know of, I'm guessing they're popular because of the 2t power and the footprint of the wide wheels. While the other guys are building motors and wheelsets, the kd80x guys are buying slicks and are ready to go!

For starters, it's a rotary valve engine.  Use the Clymers Kawasaki Air Cooled Singles repair manual.  You can find it on Amazon or ebay for under $10 used. I have a '79 KD100.  Paid $75 for it.  It only had a bad coil and was missing some parts.  Spent maybe another $200 and it runs excellent.  It's a pitbike size, nothing like a KX80 or anything like that.

IMG_5581.jpg

Wow, great memories.  A KD100 (don't remember the year) was my first bike.  I was a dumb kid, and never did one thing to that bike.  I never changed the oil, cleaned the air filter, or tightened one bolt or spoke on that bike.  It started every time and gave me some fun before I broke my collar bone on it going over the bars.  lol  It was not a bike to try to go over your limit on.

Edited by jcm3

My sons 86 kd80 project I just finished he's happy with his beast..

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2