Sign in to follow this  

What's the worst that can happen?

I have a plated dr350 that is currently out of commission. If I take the plate off of her and slap it on a different (not street legal) dirtbike what's the worst that can happen if I get pulled over? I only need to ride on the road for one mile to get to my trails. I'm not advocating braking the law, but I have got to ride and I don't have a truck to transport the bike.

• Like 1

Well I would not do that. That's a big no no. You are better off riding without a plate. You get caught swapping plates your bike will be taken from you and enjoy court.

Trust me I have been there

• Like 3

They could tow the bike and cite or arrest you for swapping plates. They could also cite you for each and every violation possible. You might be better off just riding it with offroad tags and INSURANCE instead of swapping plates

Only 1 mile to the trail?  Just push the darn thing to the trails then.......... don't you need to lose that "keg" in your belly anyways?

I wouldn't even put the plate on for one mile. You'll likely get a warning the first time anyway.

Do it!!!

• Like 1

It's called fictitious tags...comes with a couple hundred dollar fine around here. I speak from experience(though it was a car, in my case) I figure it would be about the same for a bike.

I have a plated dr350 that is currently out of commission. If I take the plate off of her and slap it on a different (not street legal) dirtbike what's the worst that can happen if I get pulled over? I only need to ride on the road for one mile to get to my trails. I'm not advocating braking the law, but I have got to ride and I don't have a truck to transport the bike.

Just ride slowly on the side of the road without revving the bike very high.  You should be ok.  It's Kansas, not California where they would impound the bike and never give it back.

And when all else fails, "Catch me if you can!!"

• Like 3

Just ride slowly on the side of the road without revving the bike very high.  You should be ok.  It's Kansas, not California where they would impound the bike and never give it back.

And when all else fails, "Catch me if you can

Agreed! 

• Like 3

Not sure what your DMV rules are there, but here in CA, you're only allowed to cross a main highway and not so much ride it.  Now there is a rule too that you can ride along side a highway, but it has to be 100 feet away, so if there are any trails that ride along next to the highway, you get there that way.  There is also another rule that applies to that rule, and that is, if the sides of the highway is private property, then cops don't make a fuss when they see you riding on the side of the highway on the dirt pull over lane, but you should keep your roost and dust to a minimum or they can sight you for causing visibility issues for the other motorist on the highway, so you should thread lightly.

A mile is not more than a 3 or 4 minute ride on the side of the highway, so I would think you might be ok so long as you don't get too crazy n popping wheelies (as in the exhibition) or kicking up dust where other motorist would have trouble driving through the highway.

Here is what DMV CA says about it:

15.035 OHV Operation on Highways (CVC §38025)
Motor vehicles identified as off-highway vehicles may be operated or driven upon
a highway onlyas follows:
• On a two-lane highway, only to cross the highway at a 90 degree angle at a
place where a safe and quick crossing can be made.
• Only to cross at designated places on highways with more than two lanes.
• Towed (not driven) upon a highway provided the vehicle displays a valid OHV
identification plate.
• Pushed (not ridden) upon a highway provided the vehicle displays a valid OHV
identification plate.
• Transported upon a highway to and from racing events on a closed course when
the motorcycle displays a Motorcycle Transportation Permit
• To be transported on the highway, an OHV must have OHV identification,
regular vehicle registration or a Motorcycle Transportation Permit.

I would seek out a cop and just ask him what he thinks.  I'm pretty sure if you find the right guy, he'll tell you on the side of the road is fine so long as you don't cause any trouble for them or other motorist.

What ever you do, don't swap plates or try to fool a cop when it comes to the registration of your vehicle.  Like someone else here said, they could site you and take away the bike, then you'd be in court trying to get your bike back and have to pay tow charges and storage fees.

:devil:

In my part of rural kansas its very common for atvs dirt bikes and utvs to ride on the gravel roads. The police just turn a blind eye for the most part.

In my part of rural kansas its very common for atvs dirt bikes and utvs to ride on the gravel roads. The police just turn a blind eye for the most part.

We're not in Kansans anymore are we, Dorthy............ oh wait, OP is a Kansasinianimunam too.

Edited by Honda_Power

"What's the worst that can happen?"

Honda_Power could reply to your thread.

• Like 10

They could ticket you, call a tow truck, impound the bike, and all that could cost more than the bike is worth.  Your auto insurance might go up, too.  If the cop sees fraud, it is different than your simple explanation that you were riding slowly to the trail because you don't have any other way.  If you are cool and conciliatory, they may leave you completely alone.  If you try to fool them . . . well, they sometimes take offense to that  ;)

We've met!!! Ur the annoying kid in the back of English class, 7th grade!! You always tried correcting the teacher, and the class laughed every time you opened your mouth--the sad part was that you thought they were laughing with you, in reality they were laughing at you.

You had a lisp, hope you got the pacifier out of your mouth to clear that up. Even back then you were bragging, "Yeah guyths I ride motocroth!! I take my Honda THE.R-80 and thow up all the udder guyths who think they can rad a bike!! And the girlth luv me!!" When you got upset, you twisted your words up so badly that we couldn't even understand you. I felt bad for you, but what can you do for a puppy that shats the rug?? You weren't my puppy, and I guess your parents didn't luv you enough to spank your aS$

And in your vocab, it's "wong contexth." Speak it like you mean it, HP

Damn he is going to need some cream for that trolling burn.
  • Like 1

Everybody I've ever known who's been stopped with the tag off another vehicle has said they would never do it again.  It's not just a moving violation, you get arrested and your vehicle gets impounded. 

The worst thing that could happen?  You have to spend a few nights in a cell with a big guy named Bubba who hasn't seen a woman in years and thinks your scrawny ass looks good.  

Just don't do it.  

• Like 2

Just ride over there with no tags or anything and if there are cops ride away to the trails cause it's only a mile right?

Yea, really, one mile?

When we were kids, we would "push" them a couple miles through residentioal neighborhoods to get to Farmer's Field.

We would sit side saddle and have one leg touching the ground as if it was pushing the bike while it ran in 1st gear.  :)  Yea, right, a kid with one lazy leg kick every 50 feet is propelling this 200lb bike down the side walk at 8-10-12MPH?!   ;)

But it was good as the helmet would be hanging on the handle bars.  Could look around and see and hear everything.  Popo coming towards us?....hit the kill button and stop (as one leg toss don't really keep you going).  Talk to the cop if he wants to talk to you.  "Just walking it to the trail head officer"

• Like 1