Sign in to follow this  

Sythetic motor oil as tranny oil?

Dude.... any motor oil is find, hell get the cheapest no name conventional motor oil at your local auto parts store and filler' up and it'll be fine.

So I don't need "transmission fluid". I can just use motor oil? Right?

Yes, it's fine.  I believe in most manuals...... factory recommends using regular convention motor oil.  People have also used ATF (automatic transmission fluid), so you can go that route too if you'd like.

But if you want to have that peace of mind or whatever, spend $20 more to get your 'special' transmission snake oil.  Up to you.

So I don't need "transmission fluid". I can just use motor oil? Right?

correct. "(automatic) transmission fluid" (or ATF...which is what most people mean by "transmission fluid") is engineered for car auto trannies. you don't even generally use it in manual trannies in cars (you usually use straight weight gear oil--or specialized "manual transmission fluid", which is souped up straight weight gear oil--in those).

you can use it your bike tranny, and some people do...some people also use it for everything from fork oil to air filter oil.

but, generally, you just use motor oil in a bike tranny. (in fact, many 4 strokes share the oil between the engine and the tranny.)

Edited by LittleRedToyota

Could use Kawasaki 10W-40 motor oil in my tranny?

Bike is a 2007 kx100

I would high suggest not using motor oil in the transmission, because motor oil doesn't have friction modifiers for the clutch plates.  Using motorcycle oil is the best option because it's designed specifically for bikes.

I would high suggest not using motor oil in the transmission, because motor oil doesn't have friction modifiers for the clutch plates.  Using motorcycle oil is the best option because it's designed specifically for bikes.

ummm...*kawasaki* 10w40 IS motorcycle oil. :excuseme:

OP...don't use car motor oil (as opposed to motorcycle motor oil) because most of it DOES have friction modifiers which can negatively impact clutch performance.

Edited by LittleRedToyota

Hahahahaha...... thanks for the laugh, dude.

You're the type that buys ice, even if you're an eskimo living in north pole.  Admit it, you have a Kirby vacuum cleaner in your closet, don't you?

• Like 1

Hahahahaha...... thanks for the laugh, dude.

You're the type that buys ice, even if you're an eskimo living in north pole.  Admit it, you have a Kirby vacuum cleaner in your closet, don't you?

I can ride my vacuum faster than your race ready super fast exciting CR 125.

Moto oils have additives to make the oil wet clutch compatable.  Hence using the terminology "friction modifiers."  If I'm wrong, I want HP ONLY to educate me.

ummm...*kawasaki* 10w40 IS motorcycle oil. :excuseme:

OP...don't use car motor oil (as opposed to motorcycle motor oil) because most of it DOES have friction modifiers which can negatively impact clutch performance.

You are right, just reread info on a moto oil I use.  Absence of friction modifiers is what you want with moto oil.

I can admit a mistake, can HP do the same??  He'll just talk about my vacuum cleaner before addressing a topic head on lol

Please don't take honda powers advice. EVER.

As for the rest of it, out should be fine. I recommend ATF, it's not bad because your tranny is a, manual. There's a few massive differences between car trannys and our manual transmissions. non-motorcycle is fine also, and you'll hear a bunch of myths about detergents and fiction modifiers and jaso-ma and all this crap. But you'll also find That everyone is an expert. To be totally honest your own trial and error (as long as you dont do something gawd awful like put atf in your engine side) it's likely less effort than reading through all that crazy bs..... if you really want to know all of it for real - Chokey. Dude knows more about oil then I can comprehend

I run amsoil in my crf 450. On both sides. That way I don't put gear oil on the wrong side. It's easier to just use motor oil. And less confusing

correct. "(automatic) transmission fluid" (or ATF...which is what most people mean by "transmission fluid") is engineered for car auto trannies. you don't even generally use it in manual trannies in cars (you usually use straight weight gear oil--or specialized "manual transmission fluid", which is souped up straight weight gear oil--in those).

you can use it your bike tranny, and some people do...some people also use it for everything from fork oil to air filter oil.

but, generally, you just use motor oil in a bike tranny. (in fact, many 4 strokes share the oil between the engine and the tranny.)

Many automotive manual trannies use ATF. There have even been quite a few dirt bikes over the years that have spec'd ATF for the trannies.

Your bike tranny will be just fine with any decent 10W-30/10W-40 engine oil, 80/85W gear oil, or ATF. I've been using Type F ATF in my bike trannies for over twenty years.