Sign in to follow this  

xr200 dual sport project. lighting stator options.

Searched the forum (using phone, no luck) for the best options for a lighting stator for a 2000 xr200. Have been told the 84 stator will bolt right in and has roughly twice the wattage? Any experience? Or is a rewind the best option?

TIA

84 what model?

What kind of lighting do you want?

The early XR200Rs had a 35 watt headlight, a tail light, and a 50 watt alternator.  86+ have 100 watt alternators.  Some of the XLs 180 watts.

The bike I have is a 2000 and just wanting to know what will bolt right up and give the best output for a complete Baja Designs dual sport kit to make street legal. Sounds like an xl will give the best wattage, but are they compatible? Not going to be racing or anything, but brighter headlight is better..

Would 100 watts be enough ? My 650r has a rewound stator with 180watts and is surely enough..

XL stator wont work on your bike. 100 watts is a pretty optimistic rating for the stock stator, more like 70 watts. For more power your easiest solution is to rewind the stock stator, we can get 150 watts from them. 

Thanks RS. you did my 650r stator and I love all the juice. How much if I send you this stator for a rewind?

And will it end up dual lead or single?

I will be doing this as well, are their any nice led headlight specific to the xr 200 or will i have to just make something universal work, just picked up a really clean xr that i want to end up making street legal

I will be doing this as well, are their any nice led headlight specific to the xr 200 or will i have to just make something universal work, just picked up a really clean xr that i want to end up making street legal

I just put this Baja Designs headlight on my daughters 2000 XR200R, used a 35W H4 bulb, the tail light is also from Baja and is LED. I'm using the stock stator ....... works great for trail riding but I wouldn't want to compete with it!

IMG_0169%5B1%5D-M.jpg

IMG_0172%5B1%5D-M.jpg

Edited by Brewster Two

I did similar to plate an RM/XR conversion. The LED uses less power than incandescent so more power for the headlight, but the 35watt headlight is marginal for street use.

I did similar to plate an RM/XR conversion. The LED uses less power than incandescent so more power for the headlight, but the 35watt headlight is marginal for street use.

True, no argument here!