Sign in to follow this  

Ktm 500 EXC top end power.

So while the bottom end improvement from my 350 exc to my 500 exc was great, the top end actually seemed like a loss. Seemed like the 350 would rev to the moon and the 500 seems like it reaches the rev limiter sooner. Anyone notice anything similar to my observations? Do you think it could be too that my 350 exc exhaust had the screen removed while the 500 is welded in. I was thinking about buying an aftermarket exhaust for my bike but they sure are pricy. I saw that Lexx Offers a slip on for $180 on Ebay (this one http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/902/19536/Lexx-MXe-Slip-On-Silencer-With-Mid-Pipe ) And FMF offers their 4.1 slip on for nearly $200 more. I would like to the mxe route if the performance is similiar to that of the FMF. Any thoughts? Thanks.

The screen comes out of the EXC easily, it's not actually welded, only the collar is welded. Search here for how, basically drive something into the screen and pull it out. The 500 does hit the rev limiter quickly, and probably even quicker with an open exhaust. I really doubt the 350 pulls harder on top, it's probably just your perception after the really strong bottom end tapers off instead of building. I'm an advocate for leaving the screen in place in the name of staying stealth to keep our riding areas open.

Seemed like the 350 would rev to the moon and the 500 seems like it reaches the rev limiter sooner.

I believe the 350 out revs the 500 by almost 2k RPMs.

So should I spend the money on the Fmf. :thinking: I found the aluminum version on ebay for $307 and I know someone selling a used titanium one for $300. Or should I save the money and get the lexx for $180.

I have much time on both bikes and johnrunner has it right - the 350 does pull harder up top. However, that doesn't equate to a higher top speed. After getting off of MX 450s and even my 08 KTM 530exc, comparatively, the new fuel injected 500s just go flat on top due to the fuel injection. I run an fmf 4.1 or similar rear muffler canister to help a little, but that's mostly for the hit, snap, and missing few HPs with the stock, corked-up exhaust. That's the facts, mam! Cheers

Guess I'm gonna have to ride my buds 350. I'll reserve actual judgement until then, but I have a hard time believing the 350 (an absolutely great bike by the way) will out pull the 500. It might wind up more misleading the grey matter, but actually out pull it? Seems strange that I weigh 30 lbs more than my bud and he can't out pull me anywhere start to finish low or top end or roll ons. Again, I'll have to ride it and see for myself... Oh yeah, I'm running the stock exhaust and he's running a 4.1 can on a mega bomb with a new highly tuned and mapped ECU. His bike screams and sounds awesome...behind me.

• Like 2

I don't think the 350 will necessarily out pull the 500, but it felt that it pull longer before one has to shift a gear higher. Perhaps oldfuddy is right, maybe it does rev 2k more than the 500 and is why I have the observations I have. The 500 def. feels more torquier on acceleration compared to the 350 though (feels like someone is riding behind you and pushing you the back to go faster). 

Maybe you just aren't twisting the throttle far enough... Hehe. Honestly though, every time I crack the 500 all the way open I am amazed at how hard it pulls. Even going down the road at speed. Watch some of the vids of guys pulling wheelies at speed down the road. It may not hit 16000 rpm, but to me it's got plenty of top end.

Edited by rodgertheshrubber

I noticed in going from a 450 to a 500 FI that it revs out sooner. Nonetheless, at speed the 500 pulls a lot harder than my 450 did.