Sign in to follow this  

Two stroke engine seizure, got it working again... what now?

So yesterday I took my '00 Gas Gas EC250 for a spin, (two-stroke enduro-cross for those unfamiliar) .. about an hour into the ride, the engine suddenly came to a complete halt, no sputtering, no warning no nothing, rear tire locked and dragged for about 20 feet and the kickstarter would not turn. I'm pretty sure the reason was not enough lube in the gas. I put it in gear, rocked it back and forth until the engine "let go" and the tire would spin... i tried kickstarting again, it turned but didn't start, and locked again after a couple of tries. I removed the spark plug and poured just a dash of lube directly into the cylinder, i left the spark plug out and pushed the bike around in 3rd gear, the idea was so the piston would move up and down and lubricate the cylinder, with the spark plug out there was no compression so it was easy to just move around even in gear. I also added more lube to the gas tank. I put the spark plug back in and tried again, it started but seized after a few seconds again, locked. I removed the spark plug and moved the bike around again. I tried again, this time it stayed running so i started to head back. About two or three miles later, same thing happened and then again after just a few hundred yards. I tried one last time, got it working again and rode it about 5 miles back home with no problem.

My questions are:

Should i keep using it and see if it keeps seizing to make sure I need to fix something? Should i stop using it, take the engine apart and check for damage now? Should I assume it would be working fine now that it has the right amount of lube in the gas? I'd appreciate any help

Ya broke it.  If the piston seizes in the cylinder like that, you've damaged the plating on the cylinder, and the piston's pretty well done for. 

It's time for a rebuild and a reman'd cylinder.  Chalk it up as a learning experience.

Should i keep using it and see if it keeps seizing to make sure I need to fix something? Should i stop using it, take the engine apart and check for damage now? Should I assume it would be working fine now that it has the right amount of lube in the gas? I'd appreciate any help

Do you have any coolant in there?  My GG125 seized once when the waterpump shaft snapped inside the engine - the pump assy popped apart, and all of my coolant ran down into the transmission.  Bike quickly overheated and seized - no steam though, since there wasn't any water in it.   It unlocked after it cooled, but I didn't have enough compression left for it to start - barely had enough before the seize, however.  That might be what is going with your bike.  Incidentally, I was fine after a quickie cylinder cleanup with a DIY hone, a new piston and rings, and new waterpump parts.  After doing it 5 times though...dunno...

Edited by jayc250x

Ya broke it.  If the piston seizes in the cylinder like that, you've damaged the plating on the cylinder, and the piston's pretty well done for. 

It's time for a rebuild and a reman'd cylinder.  Chalk it up as a learning experience.

Yeah i thought so. Gonna  pull out the engine this weekend and see what's up. Thanks

Do you have any coolant in there? 

No coolant in the transmission, and the bike still worked fine for the last five miles of the ride home, but I'll keep that in mind. Thank you

In the case you seize a bike again, DO NOT TRY TO START AND RIDE THE BIKE AGAIN, find neutral and push it back to the truck, or bring the truck to the bike if that's a possibility. You don't want to inflict more damage and have to spend more money to fix it.