Sign in to follow this  

2014 drz400s missing/hesitating

My new drz400s (800kms) misses/hesitates when cruising  at lower speed, anyone else having these issues.  

Should prob do 3x3 mod and jet your carb to your altitude and climate. My bike was really lean before proper jetting.

Will do the airbox mod and jet eventually, but it's a new bike, shouldn't need to do that, somethings not right.

Will do the airbox mod and jet eventually, but it's a new bike, shouldn't need to do that, somethings not right.

If you don't want to do the 3x3 get a DynoJet Stage 1 Kit, it will run alot better.  These bikes come lean from the factory due to EPA standards.

Edited by billdirt1
  • Like 2

I also have a new DR-Z, and today i was taking a ride down the rode, i was just cruising in 3rd and it started to die or bog way down then died. I tired several times to start it and failed, 5 minutes later after checking the gas and playing with the choke i got it started agian... i let it idle for a couple minutes and it sounded fine, so i continued on. Agian once i got into third gear it started to die or bog down and died agian... After i couple of times i got it started agian and started to head home, half way home and it died agian and i ended up pushing it home because i didnt want to wake up everybody trying to start it. Any ideas..... this bike brand new, had it for three day.

I also have a new DR-Z, and today i was taking a ride down the rode, i was just cruising in 3rd and it started to die or bog way down then died. I tired several times to start it and failed, 5 minutes later after checking the gas and playing with the choke i got it started agian... i let it idle for a couple minutes and it sounded fine, so i continued on. Agian once i got into third gear it started to die or bog down and died agian... After i couple of times i got it started agian and started to head home, half way home and it died agian and i ended up pushing it home because i didnt want to wake up everybody trying to start it. Any ideas..... this bike brand new, had it for three day.

Take it to the dealership. Don't waste a second of your time working on a 3 day old bike. Make you you get a loaner bike while yours is in the shop too because they will be busy this time of year.

• Like 1

Take it to the dealership. Don't waste a second of your time working on a 3 day old bike. Make you you get a loaner bike while yours is in the shop too because they will be busy this time of year.

Definitely do this ^..

My new drz400s (800kms) misses/hesitates when cruising  at lower speed, anyone else having these issues.  

if convenient return to the dealer and lodge your complaint...I would be thinking it's the usual deal with leanness from the factory....

But hell , it's does suck having a new bike with these issues..

You could try running the high octane fuel as a band aid....but in reality a jet kit needle is what you need..

Edited by Craigo 485sm
  • Like 1

Unfortunately the dealer is a 7hr round trip,problem with living in northern bc. Am running high octane gas.  I want to air box, jet and pipe it, but would hate to spend the cash and find out it is something else. Was wondering if anyone out there is having similar issues, is it just a characteristic of the bike?

Edited by fooksy

New England, have a look at your fuel shut off, make sure it is ON not PRI (prime)

well, my bike is an 01 model with 21K miles, always had that funny surge

I finally broke down and did the 3x3 mod with JD jet kit and FMF SNAP device...put in a new Iridium spark plug too

WOW...other than the hard starting issue, the bike runs so much smoother, no abruptness or surging like I had before

my motor is all stock except for billet throttle tip and BikeMaster K&N lookalike air filter

• Like 2

as far as the bike dying when you ride it, crack open the fuel cap, maybe the vent is having an issue

then there is the petcock not responding to the vacuum port line...could be set to prime and flooding your bike or not operating properly for some reason, sitting around too long and fuel going bad

My brand new 2013 SM (Bought Apr 2014) did the same thing until I did the 3x3 and jetting. It's just the way these bikes come from the factory. Order a JD Jetting kit and put these woes behind you and enjoy your new bike

• Like 2