Sign in to follow this  

Idaho IPhone/Smartphone handlebar mount recommendations?

Are any of you using your smartphone for navigating? Do you have a handlebar mount recommendation? I'd prefer one that is waterproof, or at least very water resistant. I've searched online and the specs are very vague at best.

Are any of you using your smartphone for navigating? Do you have a handlebar mount recommendation? I'd prefer one that is waterproof, or at least very water resistant. I've searched online and the specs are very vague at best.

You mean something like this?

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/PN-065-0436/Touratech-iBracket-iPhone-5-Motorcycle-Bicycle-Mount

Yeah! Exactly like that, except maybe without the $150 price tag. Holy crap!

Holy cow that's expensive.

I use a RAM mount for my GPS.  Looks like this one would work with your smartphone.  I would choose the options starting in the upper left (step 1) and then diagonally down in steps 2 and 3.

http://www.rammount.com/Portals/0/Skins/NationalProducts/pdf/buildphone.pdf

Still not gonna be cheap, but a lot cheaper than the touratech.  Here are the specific parts.  At least this way you can use the RAM for other uses too.

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045072079076045065081055045049067085/Default.aspx

(Not sure I remember what kind of phone you have, so you would probably need to tweak the above option.  Prices all about the same)

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045066045049048051045050051056085/Default.aspx

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045066045050051049090085/Default.aspx

Edited by Wonderspoon
  • Like 1

That is a good idea, thanks for posting. I might have to give that a try, although I'm not sure it would work with my handlebars. It sounds like it is only made for fat bars; mine has stock bars with a cross bar. Might require some foam modification.

Stick your phone in a ziplock before cramming it in that pocket, and it will be as waterproof as anything else out there.

Hopefully by the time I get around to ordering they will have more than just blue. 

You know, I saw that on amazon for around $15 and thought it was too cheap to possibly work. I guess for $10 it is worth a try!

Not to thread jack, but what kind of mirrors are those? I've been looking for something a little more low profile than the stock mirrors on my DRZ. Thanks!

Edited by SwampMan843

My smart phones cost several times what my GPS cost so I won't mount it on my handle bars because of the risk of damage/loss.

I do pack my smart phone in its belt carrier (for protection) in my MSR roost pack, and I have tracking SW that sends position updates to select email accounts.

For riding and PNW trails/maps my Garmin is the best solution for the wet side.

Not trying to start a fight but why an iphone vs a GPS? The iphone isn't gonna work without a cell signal, and if you lose it.......juz zayin.

• Like 1

Not trying to start a fight but why an iphone vs a GPS? The iphone isn't gonna work without a cell signal, and if you lose it.......juz zayin.

That's actually a myth. The iPhone uses "A-GPS" or Assisted GPS which uses the cell signal to assist in locating the satellites much quicker than a standard gps. Without a signal, the iPhone acts as a regular gps. I was skeptical, but sure enough, it is dead-accurate far from cell signals.

Now for the why: I have an awesome free app (avenza PDF maps) that allows me to download any topo map and MVUM for free. It locates me in real time on any of the maps I have loaded. I can switch back and forth between google earth (as much as it remembers if out of cell range), and any of the maps on my phone. I won't keep it on full time as to save battery life, but it is better than any gps for what I use it for.

• Like 1

That's actually a myth. The iPhone uses "A-GPS" or Assisted GPS which uses the cell signal to assist in locating the satellites much quicker than a standard gps. Without a signal, the iPhone acts as a regular gps. I was skeptical, but sure enough, it is dead-accurate far from cell signals.

Now for the why: I have an awesome free app (avenza PDF maps) that allows me to download any topo map and MVUM for free. It locates me in real time on any of the maps I have loaded. I can switch back and forth between google earth (as much as it remembers if out of cell range), and any of the maps on my phone. I won't keep it on full time as to save battery life, but it is better than any gps for what I use it for.

I'll be dipped - Thanks for that info.

No Iphone.. Android phone with MyTrails app. I have the entire Cascade Range of WA in two different types of satellite and two different types of topographic maps on the sd card. I don't even have a cell plan on the phone, it is strictly for dirt and snowbiking navigation... I got it off craigslist for $50. I wired a charger cord directly to the electrical system so it never even leaves the bike, and is always on and tracking when I'm riding.

http://www.frogsparks.com/

Screenshot_2013-10-22-08-16-13.png

• Like 1

You know, I saw that on amazon for around $15 and thought it was too cheap to possibly work. I guess for $10 it is worth a try!

Can someone post up a review if you get one of these? Im tempted for that low of a price, although it doesn't look like its very impact resistant.