Sign in to follow this  

Swamped bike

Yesterday I swamped my bike, the water wasn't in my air box or exhaust, and it started about two hours later and ran fine.

I just changed the oil and it came out like milk because it had so much water in it. I also cleaned the air filter and checked the coolant and it was all fine.

I'm just wondering if I should clean my carb or not since it ran fine yesterday..if it is really dirty by any chance would it effect or blow my engine by any chance? My bike is a 2003 RM100.

Thanks

Usual practice around here is to remove plug and if possible turn bike upside down and cycle engine get the crap out of the cylinder.  Change your oil when you get home.  

If your bike ran fine I wouldn't stress out about the carb.  Just drain the float bowl. 

I'd ride it some, get it hot and then change your oil again.  Once oil stops being milky you are good.

It isn't a death warrant to drown out a bike.  It isn't good mind you :)  but I think it is worst to suck dust/dirt past your air filter and keep riding without knowing it.  Main thing is to get the water out and change the oil (sometimes it takes a couple changes to get all the water out.

If it makes you feel any better here is my new Yamaha 450 4T I sucked mud and water in through the vent tube that routes to the foot peg.  Destroyed it on its 3rd weekend. :(  Here is what it looked like after I flushed it out with mineral spirits and multiple oil changes.  tore it down and split the cases... *puke*  Dirt clogged the oil pick up and starved the top end of oil.  Cylinder replace, new piston on down, crank and bottom end bearings.  Only road about 1-2 miles out of the woods after it happened.  Didn't crash in the water, rather flamed out and kicked it over as my vent tube dipped in the water.  It was a expensive sump pump at that point. :)

335628_4742891056488_125923501_o.jpg

48179_4742898176666_770175166_o.jpg

477038_4742902296769_1356916585_o.jpg

462203_4742917417147_1434960546_o.jpg

• Like 1

Perfect thanks! I already drained the float so I'll try that and the spark plug thing. Sorry to hear about your bike, makes me realize could be a lot worse! I'll defiantly ride a little slower in the trails now.

My case was pretty extreme. :facepalm:

If you ran your bike after I wouldn't take the plug out and turn it over.  It is already clear of water.  Removing the plug helps clear water that exists in your cylinder.   

I would however ride it a little and change the oil again.

My case was pretty extreme. :facepalm:

If you ran your bike after I wouldn't take the plug out and turn it over. It is already clear of water. Removing the plug helps clear water that exists in your cylinder.

I would however ride it a little and change the oil again.

Yeah I'll change the oil again, I tried tipping it upside down and nothing came out either so I think it's all good. How long should I ride before I change it again?

Usual practice around here is to remove plug and if possible turn bike upside down and cycle engine get the crap out of the cylinder.  Change your oil when you get home.  

If your bike ran fine I wouldn't stress out about the carb.  Just drain the float bowl. 

I'd ride it some, get it hot and then change your oil again.  Once oil stops being milky you are good.

It isn't a death warrant to drown out a bike.  It isn't good mind you :)  but I think it is worst to suck dust/dirt past your air filter and keep riding without knowing it.  Main thing is to get the water out and change the oil (sometimes it takes a couple changes to get all the water out.

If it makes you feel any better here is my new Yamaha 450 4T I sucked mud and water in through the vent tube that routes to the foot peg.  Destroyed it on its 3rd weekend. :(  Here is what it looked like after I flushed it out with mineral spirits and multiple oil changes.  tore it down and split the cases... *puke*  Dirt clogged the oil pick up and starved the top end of oil.  Cylinder replace, new piston on down, crank and bottom end bearings.  Only road about 1-2 miles out of the woods after it happened.  Didn't crash in the water, rather flamed out and kicked it over as my vent tube dipped in the water.  It was a expensive sump pump at that point. :)

Wow.... what a shit design.

Edited by Afrothunderkat
  • Like 1

Nothing I haven't grumbled already. :)

Oddly enough upon review the WR450F routes the same valve cover hose high to the air box. I have an idea why. *grumble* Lol

Oddly enough upon review the WR450F routes the same valve cover hose high to the air box. I have an idea why. *grumble* Lol

Now i wonder how many other bikes "suck" things through the breather hoses!