Sign in to follow this  

Weird knocking noise

I have a 2013 250 XC-W, I bought it used with 14 hours on the bike. The bike rides great, but when I first start the bike there is a weird knocking noise that only happens with the choke on. Once the bike warms up the noise goes away, I have felt the transmission and cylinder head while this noise happens and cannot feel any correlating vibration with the knocking noise. I was told by another rider that it is more than likely the backfire being amplified through the choke opening, thus making it louder. :excuseme:  I just want to know whether this is normal or not. Thanks for the help.

Without hearing the noise it's tough to say, but make sure you check this for piece of mind. The KTM 2 strokes have a pretty loud clutch, if you pull in the clutch while it's making this noise does it change? If so it's the clutch and it's totally normal. 

I couldn't tell to be honest. I have noticed that it only does it if it has not ran in a while. I will check it again this weekend to make sure. Thanks for your input.

• Like 1

My 2012 300 XC does this as well at warm up; I'm thinking the cylinder and piston are just knocking until it warms?

• Like 1