Sign in to follow this  

CRF80 Stalled out, won't start again

Hi all, my name is Bruce and I'm new to this forum. I ride a Honda CRF80 2007 model which I've had since brand new. From the day I've got it I've had no problems with it until just the other day.

While riding with a few friends, I hit a ramp at low speeds and got a few feet off of the ground. When I landed, I tried to gave my bike some throttle and the engine died out. At first, I thought I had stalled the bike and wasn't worried until I tried to kick start it again. There was pressure, but the bike wouldn't start. It sounded like it would when I'd normally start it except the engine wouldn't get going. I then coast started it down a hill and the engine started up again, but only to stall out within seconds. While it was on for those few seconds I tried to give the bike some fuel but it didn't rev up at all.

My friend and I started working on it this morning in hopes that it was something small and easy to fix. Here is what we did:
`Changed the oil (this was well past due, it was almost black and had some specks of dirt in it)
`Cleaned the air filter (this was also past due, it had some build up on the outer foam)
`Changed the spark plug
`Checked the kill switch wires
`Cleaned the carb with carb cleaning fluid (the excess fluid draining out was a dark brown, while the original fluid was clear with a yellow tint)

The same thing still happens. It won't kick start and when I coast start the bike it dies out within seconds.

*I'd like to note that a few months ago I had removed the baffle off of the exhaust. I hope this isn't the cause and I regret doing so.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I'd really like to get back to riding again so any comments help!

...engine started up again, but only to stall out within seconds. While it was on for those few seconds I tried to give the bike some fuel but it didn't rev up at all...

You need three things for your bike to run. Spark, compression and fuel.

Sounds like you have spark if it appears to start. That leaves compression and fuel (fuel air). You need at least 100psi for that engine to run. This is the bare minimum. A good 80cc will test around 160 psi or so. 

That brown fuel is where I think you have issues. Good E10 gas (if there even is such a thing) is golden yellow in color with no phase separation evident. I'd take the carb off and completely clean it. That means jets and all. I use an old projector lens to check the jets.

If you can get it to idle but giving it more gas causes it to stall that means the main jet is probably clogged.

Carb cleaner and compressed air works nicely and I will also use a very fine wire if that does not get them completely clean. Just pass it through once (jets can be scratched if you run it in and out) and follow up with carb cleaner and the air. Check with the lens. Jets need to be flawless and with E10 they can become clogged in a second.  E10 causes the rubber gas lines to deteriorate and get into your carb. I switch all my bikes over to the newer Tygon fuel lines (Acme Auto). There is a fuel screen in your gas tank but adding a secondary inline fuel filter is something I also do, as well.

When you get it fixed do your bike a favor and only use fresh gas.

For me that's Shell 87. I buy some each week and if there is any left over from my rides I pour that into the car or lawn mower and start fresh next weekend.

Edited by hondaspree