Sign in to follow this  

Main jet broke in half, ever seen this happen?

I was putting the stock jet back in my bike, went to just barely snug it down and it just let go. At first I thought I stripped the threads somehow, untill I saw this haha

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401749427.722427.jpg

I mean it is the stock jet and has had 8 years of use but I can't believe it broke so easily

I did the same thing man, on an old keihn haha. I was surprised too at how easily it just popped apart...

• Like 1

How did you get the tip of the jet out? I'm assuming It won't be hard considering it's hallow but I haven't taken the carb off yet. I was pretty amazed this it just snapped like that I barely snugged it down haha

Ive done the same thing. Scared the shit out of me. But i got it out of the carb

Howd ya do it??

I didn't know much about changing jets and carbs. Newb move, so i tightened the main jet with a socket and it kept spinning. I almost fainted.

Soft aluminum body and a tiny brass jet and you thought some real torque was required? :banghead:  Back away young man,,,,,,back away!

I did that on my old kx500 once.  I was able to back the broken jet out with a small screw driver.  It scared me at first too.

• Like 1

Howd ya do it??

Go to the hardware store and find easy outs.  Make sure the kit you buy has a pretty small one.  You may need to carefully drill it out a little bit to use the easy out. 

• Like 1

I have a set at home but I think I lost the small one ha

I did that on my old kx500 once. I was able to back the broken jet out with a small screw driver. It scared me at first too.

This is exactly what I was thinking I would try first, I have a set of small flatheads that I think would back it out fairly easy

Anti seize when 2 different metals together.

Came right out with a screwdriver, only reason i used a socket was because I was switching out the jet through the nut that comes off the bottom of the float bowl, and a socket was the only way I could get at it

This would be a perfect application for a left hand twist bit.  As the bit bites the brass it will catch and since the drill is turning counter clock wise it will back right out.