Sign in to follow this  

Change xc to wide ratio?

I recently got a 2007 200 XC. I like how tunable everything is and enjoy riding it. I came off of an XR 250. I miss the wide ratio gearing. Has anyone ever changed the gearing (I don't mean sprockets) on their bike? Would it be a huge pain in the rear? Maybe I'll just get used to it but wanted to see what others have done. Thanks!

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401750246.283799.jpg

That would be a 200xc-w I am pretty sure you could buy a w transmission gear set and put it in if you were motivated to split the cases - someone who knows more than me can chime in, but the cases are the same I believe.

Lot's of year's transmissions will work 125,144,200, but I went the other way, from the wide ratio to the close ratio, it works a lot better if you gear the bike right and it still has enough top end. Do you ever ride your bike tapped out? 

I recently got a 2007 200 XC. I like how tunable everything is and enjoy riding it. I came off of an XR 250. I miss the wide ratio gearing. Has anyone ever changed the gearing (I don't mean sprockets) on their bike? Would it be a huge pain in the rear? Maybe I'll just get used to it but wanted to see what others have done. Thanks!

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401750246.283799.jpg

Yes its a lot of work.  No I wouldn't do it if I were you

I went from a wide ratio bike to a close ratio and know what you mean the wide ratio feels a lot better on fas sections. Almost every time I ride the close ratio I think about how sweet wr would be. Everyone just throws the split case word out there but I did mine and it wasn't that bad. If you can commit the time to remove the motor (ktms come apart so smoothly) remove the right outer cover, stator, pull the flywheel, then you just hook up the splitter and pop there apart.

I went from a wide ratio bike to a close ratio and know what you mean the wide ratio feels a lot better on fas sections. Almost every time I ride the close ratio I think about how sweet wr would be. Everyone just throws the split case word out there but I did mine and it wasn't that bad. If you can commit the time to remove the motor (ktms come apart so smoothly) remove the right outer cover, stator, pull the flywheel, then you just hook up the splitter and pop there apart.

I've never used a case splitter on the KTM's, I busted a transission on Sunday, ordered a Fleabay one Sunday night, pulled the motor, worked monday, cleaned all my parts up Monday night, recieved parts on Wednesday night and had it back together that night. 

The only way I would consider doing this is if you were going to just add in the upper gears like 4,5,6. I think the 1,2 gap of the wide ratio is HORRIBLE okay maybe not horrible but nowhere near as good as the close ratio. IT's so gappy and makes it where sometimes there is no good gear for a given situation. I think for trail riding it would be okay but for racing I couldn't deal with it. 

Thanks for all your input. I'm just a trail rider--never race, but do get on some open dirt roads and sometimes some slow technical stuff. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined but this would be the biggest job thus far. And what with work, little kids, wife and riding, time is always so limited. I think I'll just leave the bike as is. Maybe I'll learn to like it after awhile.

Remember that coming of an XR, it will feel like you a wringing the living crap out of the 200, when you are actually just starting to tap the 200s potential. The thing should do roughly 70ish stock... far faster than the XR.