Sign in to follow this  

02 RM125 throttle chop results!

So when I bought the bike it had a 440 main jet (OEM is 460), spooged like crazy, and would get boggy if left to idle for a while. The pilot circuit was rich so I dropped that to a 30 from 32.5 and now that feels perfect, and I was happy with the needle. The 440 felt lean and hot. So I just purchased a 450 main, one step richer. Now I just warmed it up and rode it around a little to make sure it was nice and warm, then killed it and inserted a brand new plug. Ripped full throttle down the street first through sixth slowed down then repeated the same procedure back. Then pulled the clutch and held the kill switch till I stopped. The bike honestly felt much better at full throttle, but here's why I'm making this thread. I've never done a throttle chop plug test before and from what I understand the porcelain is supposed to be a tan color which in my eyes appears to be slightly darker than when it was new, but definitely not tan (although not grey either) and it does look like there is some color at the base of the porcelain. Here's a picture of the plug. The flash seems to have reflected a little on the top of the porcelain.  securedownload.jpg

Yeah I am using 91 pump gas (highest octane availible in CA) with Maxima Castor 927 at 32:1. I'll give that article a read over, and thanks for the quick reply! So if I'm using pump gas then I wont get a tan reading even at the base of the porcelain?

Edit: As for the lighted loop. Would something like this be what you're referring to? http://www.amazon.com/Jewelers-Lighted-High-Power-Eye-Loupe/dp/B0052G7EX8

Edited by Kyleinator

Reading the plug is BS IMO.  You should be able to hear when the tune is right. Makes no sense to tune a bike using your eyes. Use your ears :thumbsup:. You want the bike to run cleanly but It's also best to have it as rich as possible. Why? Fuel is cold, more fuel = cooler running engine. Cooler running engine = more power :ride: . Don't get sucked into thinking a leaner engine gives you more power. Wrong.

Has the squish been setup properly for the pump gas you're using? Makes a big difference.

Edited by AddictedToBling