Sign in to follow this  

Decisions?

Hey whats up, 

For about the past couple years I really wanted a dirt bike, and now I decided to make that happen.  I have ridden one once in my life and it was a small little dirt bike not very fast.  I'm familiar with how to shift and have watch several videos on how to use a clutch so that is not my main concern.  

I'm torn because I started to look at the YZ85 and my buds said go for that dirt bike, however I also saw a 2003 DRZ 125 for a decent price that someone is selling, has new grips and he just did the oil.  He said it could use a carb cleaning though. 

What bikes should I be looking at?  My max price range is about $1,200 and I'm okay with older bikes as long as its not older that a 2000.  Preferably closer to $1,000 would be better.

As for use, I plan to use it on mainly around my house and woods.  Maybe a little around my street but its a pretty busy street and almost considered a highway.  (To get to the woods on the other side).  Although I would like to take it to my buddies house and race around, and he said someday we could even go to tracks.  

Thanks

Well first off how long are you going to be planning on riding this bike. I dont know if your an adult or teenager or what but I got a 125 2 stroke and got bored of its power in a few months. Getting an 85 or 125 is quite small for someone over 130lbs even though higher cc's may sound intimidating at first. Secondly are you looking for a 2 stroke bike or a 4 stroke because both are a whole different ball game and 4 strokes are usually going to go for less and need less maintenance which is good for people who aren't used to it. Get back to me on a couple of those things and I'll try and help you out some more.

4 strokes being less maintainence is a misconception. The air cooled beginner 4 stroke trail bikes are very reliable and bullet proof. The high compression mx and trail bikes are way more Maintenence than a 2 stroke mx bike. Basically if you're looking for a faster bike, expect to maintain it and spend money on it. If I were you I'd look for a 125 2 stroke. 2000-2002 model should fit your price range. However when you get it, throw a piston and rings in no matter what the PO says. Have fun, wear proper gear, and ride safe! Welcome to the sport/hobby/lifestyle or what have you.