Sign in to follow this  

Idaho Welcome Home Bowe Bergdahl

I'm withholding judgement until we find out how exactly he was captured. I'm glad we got him back, but if he deserted, he should be making big rocks into little rocks.

• Like 3

He is a soldier and an American citizen so I'm glad he is back.  But there seems to be a lot of first hand info that indicates he deserted his post in a war zone. If you consider that the approval by Congress to use armed force was a declaration of war then the desertion is a capitol offense under the Military Code of Justice.

Federal Law requires Congressional notification before releasing any Gitmo detainees, obviously not followed.

So all of this controversy will cloud what should be a happy occasion.

He is a soldier and an American citizen so I'm glad he is back.  But there seems to be a lot of first hand info that indicates he deserted his post in a war zone. If you consider that the approval by Congress to use armed force was a declaration of war then the desertion is a capitol offense under the Military Code of Justice.

Federal Law requires Congressional notification before releasing any Gitmo detainees, obviously not followed.

So all of this controversy will cloud what should be a happy occasion.

I don't think there's any way the government would pursue capitol punishment, whether they're allowed to or not. It would just be too much of a mess. A lengthy prison term wouldn't surprise me, though.

As far as Congressional notification, it looks like it did happen: http://time.com/2803988/guantanamo-detainees-bergdahl/

I'll say it, he's a deserter in a time of war. I could care less about this guy.

(I'm a 20 year veteran who is retiring this year and has deployed multiple times and know and understand the true story)

Edited by duhameister
  • Like 5

My understanding is the law requires 30 days notice.  Some Senators on TV today said this was tried back in '11 and rejected by the Senate. This time the notice was after the fact.

Fellow soldiers were also on TV today saying that he did desert and 6 of his fellow soldiers were killed searching for him.

I'm a Veteran and I have a clear understanding of the required  legal conduct in a combat zone, and it is much different than civilians think.  There are many unanswered issues here and the Army says it will conduct another investigation. So stand by for a Courts Marshal announcement. Obama as Commander in Chief could shut it off, but to his own detriment with Congress, the military, and veterans.

I too will withhold judgement till more information comes in, although initial indications are he's a POS.   If he was sneaking away from his post to get a ride in, I might cut him a little slack. 

• Like 2

I too will withhold judgement till more information comes in, although initial indications are he's a POS.   If he was sneaking away from his post to get a ride in, I might cut him a little slack. 

Funny you say that. When I was in Baghdad we had a pair of KTM 505's or 525's or something like that. We found them sitting in another units area. We got our hands on them and ripped it up a few afternoons.

• Like 5

Funny you say that. When I was in Baghdad we had a pair of KTM 505's or 525's or something like that. We found them sitting in another units area. We got our hands on them and ripped it up a few afternoons.

I bet that was a nice change of pace.  Serious respect for doing a tour in that sandbox :thumbsup:.

• Like 2

21 years in the green machine so I have some strong opinions here... Sorry if I offend, but Mr. Bergdahl stopped being a soldier when he dropped his gear and walked away from his guard post. Abandoning a guard post in a forward deployed area... Leaving all of your guys vulnerable AND then opening them all up to even more bad vibes when they have to poke the hornet's nest to come find your sorry butt. He knew all of this when he made the conscious decision to bail. It was all about Bowe. Now we turn loose five really bad actors who will, in a very short order, be back in the game, hunting and killing Americans.

Someone please help me understand why this is a good thing...

• Like 5

There is more to this story than we are being told.

If he went AWOL in a war zone then there is no reason to trade five Taliban detainees for him unless they just really, really want him back to face justice for desertion.

• Like 1

maybe he's actually a CIA operative and his desertion/capture/negotiated release was just a ploy and the bad guys think they actually indoctrinated him and released a sleeper agent into our population and he's going to come get us all! but the truth is he was just gaining their trust and intel and he will be the whole reason we bring down all those terrorist pukes!!  OMG!!!  won't you guys all have egg on your face if this happens.

btw, if i don't post for a few weeks please petition the CIA or NSA for my release. i don't want to be a snowden!!

I'll say it, he's a deserter in a time of war. I could care less about this guy.

(I'm a 20 year veteran who is retiring this year and has deployed multiple times and know and understand the true story)

15-years in the Army here, I totally agree with you. I was trying not to stir the pot.

There is more to this story than we are being told.

If he went AWOL in a war zone then there is no reason to trade five Taliban detainees for him unless they just really, really want him back to face justice for desertion.

Contrary to what you may have heard, the US military doesn't leave men behind, ever. That goes for shit bags as well as good Soldiers. The Army knew he had walked off when they put other Soldiers in danger to look for him. The only reason they had for bargaining to bring him home is because we always bring them home, if he's a criminal he'll be tried and convicted.

15-years in the Army here, I totally agree with you. I was trying not to stir the pot.

Contrary to what you may have heard, the US military doesn't leave men behind, ever. That goes for shit bags as well as good Soldiers. The Army knew he had walked off when they put other Soldiers in danger to look for him. The only reason they had for bargaining to bring him home is because we always bring them home, if he's a criminal he'll be tried and convicted.

^^^ :thumbsup:  What he said.

On the local news here in WA his ex- Platoon Leader wants to talk to him about what went down and why he walked away.

Edited by duhameister
  • Like 1