Sign in to follow this  

Any of you put KTM wheels on your DRZ?

I've been looking into putting KTM wheels on my DRZ SM, specifically so I can run an Alpina tubeless wheel setup. (hopefully a 2.5"x19" front and 4.25"x17" rear)

RAD makes a series of hubs that come with 20mm axles front and back for KTM, called Hex Interchangeable. And Alpina makes KTM rims, and STS conversion kits.

I just need to find out if the Alpina rims will work with the RAD Hex hubs, which I am in the process of doing.

So all in, I think it will work. I believe the only extra "mods" I would need to do is axle spacers to line up the rotors and calipers.

Just wondering what kind of issues have cropped up when people have tried putting KTM wheels on their DRZ?

Seems like a $1000 answer to a $10 question. A lot of guys over at Supermotojunkie have done the tubeless conversion to the DRZ for around ten bucks with great success. Its on my to do list when I get my stainless steel spokes in. May be an option for you.....

What's the deal with preferring tubeless? Mind explaining?

Ditching the tube means less unsprung weight/less rotating mass. This gives a whole array of advantages. 

On the track that matters.  

Edited by Gloamhawk

I have a stop n go plug kit. It's nice to just run a plug in and get going in five minutes instead of removing the wheel out on the trail and fixing a tube.

• Like 1

Seems like a $1000 answer to a $10 question. A lot of guys over at Supermotojunkie have done the tubeless conversion to the DRZ for around ten bucks with great success. Its on my to do list when I get my stainless steel spokes in. May be an option for you.....

They all run on tube type wheels though, with no safety bead. That's just begging for problems.

I have a ktm rear and a RM front that i use for on road with distanzias.  Use the stockers for off road.

So what is the $10 solution to going tubeless? I am guessing a self sealing rim strip or? The ktm wheels from 98 to 06 will work but finding good ones can be a problem. Those years have the correct center line with correct sprocket and disc spacing. I would like to find a 17" woods wheel with a cush hub. I would also like to win the lotto but I won't hold my breath!

My friend has ktm wheels on his drz. He's in my friends. His name is chame. But he's at the beach with his wife in timeout til Friday. So he probably won't respond. She's a jerk...

You will have to arrange some PICs  M8... :) ....

I mean a pic of the wheels, not the wife at the beach.....Oh.... ok.... , a pic of the wife at the beach will also be acceptable....... :lol:

Edited by Craigo 485sm
  • Like 2

The "Tubeless for $10" thread is over at the Supermotojunkie.com forum. Essentially it tells you how and with what to seal the spoke nipples with. They also discuss that pricey (for what it is) tape system that's available from Japan on Ebay.

You will have to arrange some PICs  M8... :) ....

I mean a pic of the wheels, not the wife at the beach.....Oh.... ok.... , a pic of the wife at the beach will also be acceptable....... :lol:

haha. im not with him. hes like 2000+ miles away. back at home. i think i can still hear his wife whine from here though...

• Like 1

haha. im not with him. hes like 2000+ miles away. back at home. i think i can still hear his wife whine from here though...

Tell him when he gets his bike running to hit me up,  the SMJ guys ride too fast for me...

• Like 2

Tell him when he gets his bike running to hit me up, the SMJ guys ride too fast for me...

I rode with these old guys and they're way too fast too. They apparently think someone cleans Angeles crest or something. They barely slow down. He rides with another guy with a drz too. But chame still wants to do rings and valve seals though. No idea when he's going to do it but he's got the impression he can change the valve seals without taking the head off. I don't see the point though..
  • Like 2

I rode with these old guys and they're way too fast too. They apparently think someone cleans Angeles crest or something. They barely slow down. He rides with another guy with a drz too. But chame still wants to do rings and valve seals though. No idea when he's going to do it but he's got the impression he can change the valve seals without taking the head off. I don't see the point though..

Im not down with doing 90+ in the streets,  not me scene,  i ride to enjoy,  a few speed bursts here and there is great,  but not all day errday,  lol,   we'll go ride when you get back. 

• Like 2

I've been looking into putting KTM wheels on my DRZ SM, specifically so I can run an Alpina tubeless wheel setup. (hopefully a 2.5"x19" front and 4.25"x17" rear)

RAD makes a series of hubs that come with 20mm axles front and back for KTM, called Hex Interchangeable. And Alpina makes KTM rims, and STS conversion kits.

I just need to find out if the Alpina rims will work with the RAD Hex hubs, which I am in the process of doing.

So all in, I think it will work. I believe the only extra "mods" I would need to do is axle spacers to line up the rotors and calipers.

Just wondering what kind of issues have cropped up when people have tried putting KTM wheels on their DRZ?

No, I put DRZ wheels on my DRZ.

• Like 1