Sign in to follow this  

1994 yz125 competitive?

Hey guys I'm new to the forum, I'm about to get a yz125 and I have narrowed my search down to 2 bikes. A 2002 and a 1994. I was wondering if the older one could be competitive if I were to race it, or if the newer one was significantly better (more hp, lighter, more stable geometry etc). Also, is there any serious problems with the 1994 Yz. Thanks in advance I couldn't find any stats on the internet.

Hey guys I'm new to the forum, I'm about to get a yz125 and I have narrowed my search down to 2 bikes. A 2002 and a 1994. I was wondering if the older one could be competitive if I were to race it, or if the newer one was significantly better (more hp, lighter, more stable geometry etc). Also, is there any serious problems with the 1994 Yz. Thanks in advance I couldn't find any stats on the internet.

Youll spend more time fixing things on your 94 than riding it.

I had a 94, not a bad bike. But I'd take the 02 over it in a second. You'll struggle getting parts for the 94, and finding any aftermarket hop-up parts will be like finding a unicorn.

Ok I'm probably going to get the new one then but isn't the 98 or 99 model supposed to be faster? Like 38 hp compared to the normal 33?

from 1986-2014 all 125's make around 30-34 hp, so all the years are similar in power and performance.  However the chassis and suspension have improved over the years to allow for faster speeds and bigger hits.  If your track is fast and smooth a 1987 CR 125 would be able to race and with the right rider beat a 2014 YZ 125, but parts are hard to find and frames and such break a little easier so a newer bike would be better for your average guy.  Here is  photo o my 1987 and 2003 YZ 125's side by side just for kicks.

IMG_5455.JPG

IMG_5453.JPG

from 1986-2014 all 125's make around 30-34 hp, so all the years are similar in power and performance. However the chassis and suspension have improved over the years to allow for faster speeds and bigger hits. If your track is fast and smooth a 1987 CR 125 would be able to race and with the right rider beat a 2014 YZ 125, but parts are hard to find and frames and such break a little easier so a newer bike would be better for your average guy. Here is photo o my 1987 and 2003 YZ 125's side by side just for kicks.

Lol. I like that a lot.