Sign in to follow this  

Tires for my Wr-450

i probably sound stupid for asking this but on my bike i have a 120/100-18 tire. i know the 18 is the rim size but what do the 120 and 100 mean. what would changing them effect? also i would like to know what the best tire for street and dirt use is. i use it a ton for dirt so i want good traction but i also use it to cruise around on the street and go to school without wearing it out and/or over heating it. Ive heard the Trakmaster 2, dunlop 606, and the mt-21 are the best but i also need it to be cheap because im a little low on money. Thanks!

120 is the width and 100 is the aspect ratio. That's the height vs. width. Meaning that your 120 tire is 120 tall also.

A 120 is a big tire. 130 is as big as I have seen on a regular dirtbike. Most are 100 or 110.

Dualsport tires are tough to recommend. They work very badly in both environments.

• Like 5

I first put Dunlop D606 tires on my WR450 and found that the front kept sliding out on me.  Changed the front to a Pirelli XCMH and it's much better.  Both are dirt oriented dual sport tires, just knobbies that are DOT approved.  Performance on pavement is adequate but with short tread life.  

• Like 1

i probably sound stupid for asking this but on my bike i have a 120/100-18 tire. i know the 18 is the rim size but what do the 120 and 100 mean. what would changing them effect? also i would like to know what the best tire for street and dirt use is. i use it a ton for dirt so i want good traction but i also use it to cruise around on the street and go to school without wearing it out and/or over heating it. Ive heard the Trakmaster 2, dunlop 606, and the mt-21 are the best but i also need it to be cheap because im a little low on money. Thanks!

I had the WR450, 606's are OK off road except sand and mud. MT21's are better, especially the front but don't wear quite as well. You can get 3000 miles mixed on either, depending on a lot of different factors. I hear trackmasters perform decent but don't last.

Mike

• Like 1