Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha GT80 Performance Upgrades?

I have a 1977 Yamaha GT80 and I was wondering if there are any performance modifications I can buy and make or something I can do to the bike to make it perform better. And can anyone tell me how to make a exhaust mod to make it louder? I live in a pretty secluded area so noise isn't really a problem. I don't have any tools except screw drivers, wrenches and a small power tool, a dremel drill. I have PVC pipe and money if needed. I am hoping that if I can't get the performance mods then maybe a muffler mod, or not the muffler mod then the performance mod will do. I have replaced the air filter, and it has a new carb. I heard I could take the the tube that goes from the air filter to the carb off and it would make it faster. Is this true?

Thanks in advance!

FV

I'm not willing to help make your bike louder. That is most certainly the wrong thing to do in this day & age. And I most certainly wouldn't remove the airbox to carb airboot either. I am willing to tell you that if memory serves me correctly, I believe your bike came with steel reed petals. These I would change out to some kind of fibre reeds, and this will give you a boost in power.

It's a GT80. It's not meant to be a power house. Just putt around on it. That's like putting a performance exhaust on a scooter. Sure, it may sound "more faster", but at the end of the day you're still riding a scooter.