Older 125 2t

Hey guys I'm new to the forum and I'm 5'11" 160 pounds. I'm about to buy a 125 2 stroke, more specifically a yz125 and I'm torn between a 2002 and a 1994. Is the older one going to be fast enough to race and be competitive, or is the technology outdated (not enough hp, too heavy, wrong geometry)? The older one is cheaper and I just want to know if it is too far behind the newer one/s. Thanks in advance!

Your skill level will play a bigger part in how competitive a bike is.  One issue with older bikes, like the 94, could parts availability.  Some brands are hard to find parts for and others not so much.  I would do a little research on parts availability before you buy any older bike.  

Is this apples to apples? Why would you consider something so old to race? You would be at a disadvantage from the flag drop.

The 02 has much better suspension, updated engine, and is 8 years younger (which is allot in dirtbike years).

I had found a 94 yz125 for considerably cheaper than most local newer ones but I think I'm just going to pick up a 99
  • Like 1