Sign in to follow this  

JD jet kit install/new FMF Snap install

OK, I asked on the other JD jet kit thread but after 3 days still no response to my questions

I have a 2001 all stock motor, I went thru and cleaned up all of the intake parts and replaced everything that was bad or missing

I put in a new BikeMaster K&N lookalike air filter, the new FMF Snap thing that goes into the intake boot, did my 3x3 mod to the air box (or was close to 3x3x? anyway)

I installed my JD jet kit, with 155 jet, 25 jet, blue needle on 3rd clip

Bike runs so much smoother, no hesitation like before, no surging, lots of bottom end grunt, maybe the Snap works, not real sure but the bike sure runs better, still can't get the bike off the ground in any gear but I do have a super huge Safari tank so that is a lot of weight up front

I have the TT extended mixture screw which doesn't seem real tight although I have it 2.5 turns out, it actually seems loose to me

The biggest problem is starting up, have to have full choke, and atleast 1/2 throttle, takes about 5-7 seconds before it coughs to life, I am so glad I have the Shorai battery, that thing cranks fast without slowing down at all, even after repeated start attempts

I am wondering if I choose the right needle combination as far as color choice and clip position

I am near San Antonio, generally close to sea level and close to upper 90s most days.

Let me know what you think...thanks

OK, I asked on the other JD jet kit thread but after 3 days still no response to my questions

I have a 2001 all stock motor, I went thru and cleaned up all of the intake parts and replaced everything that was bad or missing

I put in a new BikeMaster K&N lookalike air filter, the new FMF Snap thing that goes into the intake boot, did my 3x3 mod to the air box (or was close to 3x3x? anyway)

Bike runs so much smoother, no hesitation like before, no surging, lots of bottom end grunt, maybe the Snap works, not real sure but the bike sure runs better, still can't get the bike off the ground in any gear but I do have a super huge Safari tank so that is a lot of weight up front

I have the TT extended mixture screw which doesn't seem real tight although I have it 2.5 turns out, it actually seems loose to me

The biggest problem is starting up, have to have full choke, and atleast 1/2 throttle, takes about 5-7 seconds before it coughs to life, I am so glad I have the Shorai battery, that thing cranks fast without slowing down at all, even after repeated start attempts

I am wondering if I choose the right needle combination as far as color choice and clip position

I am near San Antonio, generally close to sea level and close to upper 90s most days.

22.5 PJ with extended fuel screw.

• Like 2

Jetting sounds fine...

The pj size is not critical, though it is most common to use a 22.5 pj with the extended fuel screw...

Just set your fuel screw via this procedure...around 2.5 to 2.75 turns is where you would usually end up...

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=327405

Does it start any easier with the petcock turned to prime..?

well, I used the 25 pilot jet that came with the kit

the TT extended fuel screw I got did not have a spring with it, it was packed into the box with the JD jet kit

I have the Aqualine Safari tank, that has no vacuum for the petcock, just on/off/res, yes the vacuum port is blocked off

bike seems to run fine just really hard to start, if I didn't have the Shorai, I would be a little worried

AGAIN, I like the fact that it has good bottom end grunt, the SNAP maybe, plus no abrupt throttle response just smooth

bike won't start with the air box cover off either, put it on, button it up, it will start eventually, one thing too is the drain "valve" at the bottom of the air box is missing but I ordered a new one and should get it in a day or two, my 3x3 cutout is not square but close to the 3x3

I assume that the consensus is that the blue needle on the third clip is Ok as recommended by the kit instructions

thanks for the input so far

well, I used the 25 pilot jet that came with the kit

the TT extended fuel screw I got did not have a spring with it, it was packed into the box with the JD jet kit

I have the Aqualine Safari tank, that has no vacuum for the petcock, just on/off/res, yes the vacuum port is blocked off

bike seems to run fine just really hard to start, if I didn't have the Shorai, I would be a little worried

AGAIN, I like the fact that it has good bottom end grunt, the SNAP maybe, plus no abrupt throttle response just smooth

bike won't start with the air box cover off either, put it on, button it up, it will start eventually, one thing too is the drain "valve" at the bottom of the air box is missing but I ordered a new one and should get it in a day or two, my 3x3 cutout is not square but close to the 3x3

I assume that the consensus is that the blue needle on the third clip is Ok as recommended by the kit instructions

thanks for the input so far

Transfer the washer, o ring and spring from your stock fuel screw to the new one

• Like 1

this is the fuel mixture screw as it came out of that plugged up hole, I tipped the carb on the table and this was the only thing that fell out, heck, maybe the spring and O-ring are still in there!

but the screw does seem loose and the spring makes sense but not there as far as I know

this is the fuel mixture screw as it came out of that plugged up hole, I tipped the carb on the table and this was the only thing that fell out, heck, maybe the spring and O-ring are still in there!

but the screw does seem loose and the spring makes sense but not there as far as I know

fuel screw.jpg

Check the rubber boots on the carb. There's a little tab on the airbox one that had tucked up into the intake. It all looked properly installed except the tab was inside the boot. It was letting a bit too much air in.

• Like 1

yeah I will check all the boots tomorrow, mosquitoes are so bad right now it is hard to stand still and look at things on the bike

I am sure the tab was still sticking out when I tightened all the clamps I am sure I saw it...good call though

What is the FMF snap supposed to do?

Yeah, wouldnt think that would "improve airflow" and throttle response but hey, you never know!

Last year I saw a dyno chart which showed some small improvement with the Snap. BUT it was an "in house" chart supplied by FMF, and NOT done by an independent tester.

If anyone has a before and after dyno chart, I am sure interested in seeing results....

I had the same issue with the extended fuel screw as well- when I removed the stock screw that was all that came out.  I wound a small strip of teflon tape around the threads to make it more snug so it couldn't potentially back off.

As for the snap, I just installed one a few weeks ago,although the process for installing on a DRZ is not a snap by any means!  As weird as it sounds, I do get a better throttle response down low and find it to be an improvement.  It is not a hp or torque increase, just bottom-end responsiveness  which is what I was aiming for anyway.

There should be a a spring (35), washer (34), and an o-ring (33) on the end of the fuel screw…it is possible for them to be stuck in there. It would be best to verify that they are in there.

f76f44d8-29f7-4545-aff7-2a3ca6acc233.png

• Like 2

I've oftenly had to use a small pic to romove the spring / washer / o-ring.

I don't know about the Snap.. Sounds like a good way for FMF to make a bunch of money, probably costs them a couple bucks to make and there what $100?? No thanks lol