2011 Beta 450 RS or try for a newer one?

Hi All,

I'm a long time two-wheeled fan.  I've been lurking a short while on this forum gathering info and researching Beta.  I grew up on motorcycles and currently do tons of bicycling (on and off road).

I work with a great bunch of guys who all dirt bike and they are begging me to get a 'real' bike.  They took me out on a loaner YZ250.  I had a blast and am itching to get back into it and get my own ride.

Anyway, Beta really interests me.  I want a 4-stroke, 450cc. that can be plated in Colorado.  I'm 5'11'' and 190lbs with decent ability due to mtn biking.  I want to mainly ride trails and single-track with short on road travel to get to the trails.  I found what appears to be a sweet 2011 450 RS that has only 340 miles on it.  I'm going to look at it in a couple of days but I was wanting a 2012 or newer RR or RS.  I was looking at the 2012s because of the 48mm Sachs fork vs. the 45 or 50mm Marzocchi forks.   

Are there any issues with the 2011 RS that I should be concerned about?  Getting this bike can save me nearly $3k...if its a great bike.    

Any inputs or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

CSKeller

Hi All,

I'm a long time two-wheeled fan.  I've been lurking a short while on this forum gathering info and researching Beta.  I grew up on motorcycles and currently do tons of bicycling (on and off road).

I work with a great bunch of guys who all dirt bike and they are begging me to get a 'real' bike.  They took me out on a loaner YZ250.  I had a blast and am itching to get back into it and get my own ride.

Anyway, Beta really interests me.  I want a 4-stroke, 450cc. that can be plated in Colorado.  I'm 5'11'' and 190lbs with decent ability due to mtn biking.  I want to mainly ride trails and single-track with short on road travel to get to the trails.  I found what appears to be a sweet 2011 450 RS that has only 340 miles on it.  I'm going to look at it in a couple of days but I was wanting a 2012 or newer RR or RS.  I was looking at the 2012s because of the 48mm Sachs fork vs. the 45 or 50mm Marzocchi forks.   

Are there any issues with the 2011 RS that I should be concerned about?  Getting this bike can save me nearly $3k...if its a great bike.    

Any inputs or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

CSKeller

If it's a 2011 then the cam tensioner upgrade should be in there. 11's had an upgrade to the frame to stiffen it up too.  340 miles is still a new bike if it isn't all scratched up etc..  I think it might be a good deal but it depends if you will think about the newer upgrades that you could have had later.  I still love my 09 with the ktm rfs motor etc so I'd think this would be great to me. I have the 45's and since I do single track and trail I have absolutely no problem with it.. but others note flex.. seems like the desert guys but  I'm ok with it. My 09 works great. The 11' is quicker turning and more nimble .. just depends on you. .. so are you talking the 5 grand range? $5500. I'd also say look at other threads in Beta and just keep reading for what might interest you. I don't know for a street legal dirt bike that sounds good to me. Others might be more nit picky.. That's ok too. Have you looked at the used stuff listed? ..on threads here or on the betausa site or get dirty etc? might have some others there too to compare against. I'd like a 498/520 as an upgrade at some time.. but no need. I still like my 09 525 alot . I'll run into a deal some day then upgrade. I'd probably buy it if I was looking for a street legal dirt bike.. but I'd check for the newest models used first. There was a 350 13' on betausa that was in excellent shape and with mods on it too. I'd think about getting that also.. Look around but I don't know of any problems with 11' 450 RS Betas. You would be happy riding that thing and at a discount..plus there aren't big differences with 14's from what I remember.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

IMHO....

Buy the newest bike you can afford, for the RS line of Beta's they started using the Sachs front forks in 2014. And yes they are a step above the 45's Marzoochi's. Also you get the GPS and some nice little tweaks on the 2014.

Marzoochi's are still very nice forks, and can be revalved to be sweet. 

They all need a better battery, a bigger tank, armor, etc.

Many times in my life I've bought a older model of motorcycle and after a year of ownership I wished I would have stepped up and bought a newer model as it would have brought a better riding experience to me, for a few dollars more...

I've been dual-sport riding for over 13 years, and not adventure stuff, but serious single track and extreme off road long distance riding. the Beta is the best, period.

2011 4 stars

2013 had some changes. 4 stars

2014 had a lot of nice changes, creme de creme. 5 stars

But I'm biased!

Also there are a bunch of 2013 & 2014 RS models scattered throughout the USA, and I'm sure there are dealers that will cut you a nice deal on them 

Edited by MarkBevans
  • Like 1

The newest will be lighter by 10+lbs, better motor upgrades and frame/suspension. Flip side the older bike you can swap out the suspension for the best on the market and still be cheaper than new! My money would be older bike and upgrade components with the savings.

• Like 2

The RR's come with the brakes lights, horn, hi-low head light standard computer, and the wiring for the turn signals, other than a mirror and a plate your set. At least my 14' 450rr was.     

Only on the 2012+ models otherwise you will need the RS harness.

Thanks so much for all of your inputs.  It really helps.  I am going to look at this bike (http://denver.craigslist.org/mcd/4474876236.html) in the morning.  It looks pristine from the post and if it looks as good in person and rides as nice and we can come to a good deal, I'll be bringing it home with me.  It is 170 miles away so I couldn't check it out in advance.  If things don't work out, I plan on looking for a newer or even brand new 450 RR or RS.  Either way, I'll post pics as soon as I have a bike in my posession. 

Thanks again for your help.  You guys are a wealth of info.  I hope to pick your brains on upgrades/mods soon. 

I'm glad I joined this forum.

• Like 2

Thanks so much for all of your inputs.  It really helps.  I am going to look at this bike (http://denver.craigslist.org/mcd/4474876236.html) in the morning.  It looks pristine from the post and if it looks as good in person and rides as nice and we can come to a good deal, I'll be bringing it home with me.  It is 170 miles away so I couldn't check it out in advance.  If things don't work out, I plan on looking for a newer or even brand new 450 RR or RS.  Either way, I'll post pics as soon as I have a bike in my posession. 

Thanks again for your help.  You guys are a wealth of info.  I hope to pick your brains on upgrades/mods soon. 

I'm glad I joined this forum.

This one or any other one that's in good shape.. To me you're going to be happy.. especially since you are coming back to the sport. You will be amazed at how enjoyable these bikes are.. at least that's how I feel. ..I was impressed with the group of Beta riders that I met online when I was first learning about the brand and bike in 09'.. They helped out explain stuff and I was appreciative of their help...and I ended up getting my 09 525 Beta. Lots of guys helped me . I saved some time energy and money.. Nice..  Pretty much everyone here is cool and been around and is willing to share. It seems more have gravitated toward Beta and very few have left to other brands.. The group has grown. I hope you pick up this one or something else that works for you so you know why we smile through the typing.. :ride:

Edited by hawaiidirtrider