Sign in to follow this  

Garden hose for breaking in the engine?

As some of you may know i recently need it a new top end due to some mechanical failures, as i was finishing up the engine and getting it ready for break in tomorrow my seasoned mx rider neighbor was pulling up to his driveway and yelled get your garden hose!!!!

I was hoping he need it to put out a fire, but NOPE he came up and said, "the only way i broke in my engines was with a garden house, start the engine and while it was idling let water cascade over the cylinder that prevented  glazing, give a gentle twist so not to let it sit on a constant rpm for 5 minutes, than some cooling than some gentle riding for a couple of minutes your done"

Is he on to something or just another old wives tale from way back when, i know a garden house is sometimes used when breaking in a freshly rebuilt engine (cars), but i didn't know the same principal apply to 2t...

Prob worked on air cooled motors.  Not so much with water cooled stuff

Thats why i thought but he then mentioned that this allowed the piston and cyl to reach op. temp. more evenly 

That's the first I've ever heard of doing a break-in that way. I'm sure it wont hurt, but I would still go by the tried and true method.

Maybe Ill just keep.the garden hose for washing the engine

• Like 1