Sign in to follow this  

2013 Honda XR650L won't start

Hi fellow 650 riders. I have a Honda XR650L 2013, it has 7000km on it. About a month ago I noticed a problem. Once in a while I would shut the bike off for a couple of minutes, I would try to restart it, but the bike wouldn't fire. I would keep trying for about 15 minutes, then it would start. Over the past couple of weeks its gotten worse. Now every couple of days the bike won't start first thing in the morning. If you try again later it starts. I was going to take it to my dealer but its hard to troubleshoot when its working. The spark plug was changed a couple of months ago. Has anybody had this happen to them before? Thanks for any help.

pop out the CDI in the battery box when it won`t start,,smack the back of it with a screwdriver handle sharply...then try starting it..let me know if it starts..

Read me CDI thread at the top of this forum..if it starts i can repair it..i live in N.B.

B

Bit of madness in Moncton Brian..Keep your head down and break out the Bazooka.. :devil: 

Bit of madness in Moncton Brian..Keep your head down and break out the Bazooka.. :devil:

more than a bit.......5 minutes from my house..i work on alot of RCMP vehicles here too,

B

I'd always imagined Moncton as some sleepy hollow in the backblocks of Cannuck land..Quite surprised

to hear it has about 70000 residents. Not a lot of justice there,,he ices 3 people and survives..Canadian

police are plainly more forgiving than their US counterparts..You're semi British though so a degree of

stiff upper lip survives up there I guess.. :uk:

Edited by Horri

I had that issue and we had a thread or two about it a few years ago.  I ended up replacing both the CDi and pulse generator.  Now it starts easily almost all of the time.

One thing that seems to help for me in hot conditions is to turn the fuel off a little bit before shutting the engine off so that there is less fuel in the float bowl.  That seems to help with a bike that is a bit on the rich side for normal running.

I would have said that my bike starts all the time no problem, but last week I couldn't get it to start when I tried to leave work after it had sat in the hot sun all day.  Somehow I got the wrong combination of choke setting, throttle position and who knows what else.  A few hours later it started just fine.

Hi everyone. New to TT and my '09 650L.

I seem to have similar issues.

It has run well until recently and is now very hard to start 1st time of the day.

3 facts to note:

1.once started, if I sit it at work 8-10 hrs it never has an issue starting throughout the day but after 14 or more hrs sitting as in overnight it takes at least 10 minutes of trying to get it fired up.

2. If I start it throughout the evening close to bed time it starts up in the am.

3. It seems to help when I combine starting throughout the night and starving the engine of gas to kill it.

I use the recommended starting procedures and I had the oil changed, spark plug changed, carb cleaned, and valves adjusted.

Really need help. Runs perfectly once started. Mechanics couldn't find anything wrong bc of course it worked perfectly for them.

Thanks.

After changing the CDI box with a brand new one, I still had the same problem. The next time the bike wouldn't start there was no spark, so I unplugged the connection at the pulse generator and there was no resistance measurement. The bike sat for about 10 minutes then there was a resistance measurement, the bike started right up.  So I'm sure the pulse generator was the problem the whole time.

After changing the CDI box with a brand new one, I still had the same problem. The next time the bike wouldn't start there was no spark, so I unplugged the connection at the pulse generator and there was no resistance measurement. The bike sat for about 10 minutes then there was a resistance measurement, the bike started right up.  So I'm sure the pulse generator was the problem the whole time.

Been there, replaced that, haven't had bike starting problems since.

The CDI is the most common culprit for no starts......but the pulse gen is definately another possible cause,,i just replaced mine,it was giving me issues,and i had a new spare so i chucked it in..

B