Xrs4Life

Hello all!!! New here!! I want to know if anyone here still races there thumper!!? (Xrs rule). I recently thought about selling mine but I decided to keep it. It's just too reliable. This past weekend I raced in a c heavy class and got 12th out of 20. Not to bad for my 2nd woods race. My thumper (xr 250r) 2002 did the pro hills like nothing. I've added a big gun race exhaust to it. Grounded the header welds. Rejetted the main jet to a 135 from a 132. And did a few other mods. The air box has been fixed with a UNI filter and I've hardened up the real shock. (Front needs oil). Il get a picture tmr. I want to know if anyone else just can't let this bike go. Scott summers is a great inspirational person proving that these bikes can kick butt. I'm 6"3 and approx 140 pounds. If ya want to know anything else just add to it!! Let's see these xrs!!

• Like 1

Hello all!!! New here!! I want to know if anyone here still races there thumper!!? (Xrs rule). I recently thought about selling mine but I decided to keep it. It's just too reliable. This past weekend I raced in a c heavy class and got 12th out of 20. Not to bad for my 2nd woods race. My thumper (xr 250r) 2002 did the pro hills like nothing. I've added a big gun race exhaust to it. Grounded the header welds. Rejetted the main jet to a 135 from a 132. And did a few other mods. The air box has been fixed with a UNI filter and I've hardened up the real shock. (Front needs oil). Il get a picture tmr. I want to know if anyone else just can't let this bike go. Scott summers is a great inspirational person proving that these bikes can kick butt. I'm 6"3 and approx 140 pounds. If ya want to know anything else just add to it!! Let's see these xrs!!

Welcome to TT. Check out the different forums, lots of good info here. Sorry, don't have a XR, but buddies do/did.

Mike

Welcome, I have the same bike and was just thinking I might do a little racing ?  Congrat's on the top 20 finish  ?

I raced HS on 89 & 90 xr250s and then an 85 xr350 a couple of times. Great fun, quite a few top 20 in 4 years and 2 top 10 at my home course on the 90 250.

But that was a long time ago and now I'm pushin' 50! Still fit though, 5'11/160, run, bike or hike 3-4 times a week. Recently did 2 hours WFO, no stops or crashes or heart attacks.

After a couple of months and a few basic mods, including loosing a few pounds, she's still a LRP (little red pig) though, especially in the mud.

I was actually thinking of picking up an old 250 2 stroke to see how that feels. Def going to keep an XR around though whether I race it or not.

IMG00025-20140519-1849-e.jpg

Yeah, I've been lusting for a xr400 and looked at the 600s too. Now that's a BRP! Maybe being 6'3 will give you some extra leverage and you'll like it. Even the xr350 was a beast for me.

And ride a 650L a couple times and would hate to have to pick it up in the tight woods or mud.

I've done the basic Gordon mods, removed the airbox lid, Uni filter, drilled the pipe, rebuilt the carb with 135 main jet. Also running 13/45 gears and a T63 110/80 rear tire.

I have CR-Hi bars and bark busters to install next. I'm wanting a lighter muffler, but need to keep it quiet for riding in my area. And need to do a few other mods first, as cash allows.

Mine was all original, so currently chain and sprockets and brake pads are next. This winter I'll probably strip her down, paint the frame, rebuild and mod the forks, rebuild the shock and linkage.

Would love to do a 280 kit with valves and a clutch kit too ? We'll see....

Sounds like a plan! Alot of your mods you mentioned I have done too. They help alot. One problem I'm having with the xr 250 is I'm going so fast on it now I have blown out the front forks. So I need to rebuild and maybe put a stiffer spring. And I need a good set of handle bars that won't bend every time I lay it over. I have bought 3 sets of moose bars in the past 3 months from little lay overs. It's pitiful! Any advice here is appreciated. And as the xr 600 goes... I'm only 17 so I have plenty of time to get better and hopefully I won't have to worry about picking it up because I won't plan to lay it over (:

Sounds like a plan! Alot of your mods you mentioned I have done too. They help alot. One problem I'm having with the xr 250 is I'm going so fast on it now I have blown out the front forks. So I need to rebuild and maybe put a stiffer spring. And I need a good set of handle bars that won't bend every time I lay it over. I have bought 3 sets of moose bars in the past 3 months from little lay overs. It's pitiful! Any advice here is appreciated. And as the xr 600 goes... I'm only 17 so I have plenty of time to get better and hopefully I won't have to worry about picking it up because I won't plan to lay it over (:

Good luck with the springs, I'm looking for some too. Word is to re-valve also or at least do the compression stack mod:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/955510-compression-stack-mod/

Blown the front forks? Meaning the seals are leaking? With your weight, and mine, could probably get by for now with with the mod, seals and some fresh oil.

If I can find some springs I'm going to buy 'em though and a re-valve kit too. Even if I don't do it right away, these parts are getting harder to find.

Sounds like you need some bark busters and fat bars and to stop dumping the front end. I've let go of mine 6 or more times and haven't bent my 7/8" Renthal bars yet. No hard crash though.

Good plan with the 600/650, but the reality is.... ?

Try these springs. http://m.ebay.com/itm/141285921004?nav=SEARCH

They might work for you but are expensive.

I'm going to put a spacer In the shock to make it more stiff and I got a rebuild kit last night.

And as for the 600 you just have to believe in yourself!! Don't care if it has 40 pounds on the 250 ? and besides I'm switching in like 2 years.

But yah if you need anything else I can find it.

I have one question for you though. Can I do away with the push pull throttle on the stock carb and get like a motion pro? I've always wondered about this. Thanks

I raced my 02 XR250R up till this past spring.  I made it up to B-Class and finished 5th in the points for the season, and that was with 2 DNF for mechanical issues.  Just search the forum here for "XR Racing Video Thread" and you'll find some of my videos along with some desert racing videos from Desertwalker.  I still have my trusty XR, but have since bought me a KTM250sxf which I am still getting used to.  I went out and raced some endurocross last weekend on the KTM just to see how it would do. After watching the video and checking the lap times from when I rode that track on my XR the lap times were almost identical.   I believe I will get faster on the KTM, but it just goes to show that an XR is no slouch when it comes to doing some racing.   Super cheap, incredibly reliable, chugs like a mack truck, and not to mention the fact that when you pass some guy on a brand new race bike they have a certain amount of shame in their eyes.  That's why I love my XR and why I will never get rid of it.  Hell I'll prolly pass it on to my kid someday. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the link. Hopefully I can find some stateside for a fair price.

I haven't tried removing the push cable, but many others have. I suppose replacing the entire throttle could work too, but cable length would be the issue.

Here's what MP has to say:

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/articles/view/301/throttles_and_throttle_kits/

I have another question about jetting. I have added a big gun race slip on. And grounded the header welds. UNI air filter. The stock jetting was 132 main and a 45 pilot. I added a 135 main but I left the pilot. It seems to run well but when I go over big bumps it likes to bog. Maybe at mid throttle.