Sign in to follow this  

Atk 406 kickstarter is stuck!

Hi guys!  I've been around on thumpertalk for some time I just decided to recently start an account.  Anyways!

I'm getting an Atk 406, but the bike has an issue with the kickstarter sometimes being completely immobile when trying to kick it over.  It was a family member's bike, and they don't want to fix it.  It has been sitting for a while.  The bike runs great because at first it ran prior to this, but on a kick it just seized up completely.  The engine itself is not seized.  I noticed that after moving the bike a bit the kickstarter will work again, but the previous owner told me that a tooth on something might have broken inside.  I had cleaned out the carb from it sitting for so long and he had told me this after it had ran then the kickstarter wouldn't budge.  I'm looking for any possibilities of what the issue could be and what steps I would need to take to fix said issue.  It is an 88' Atk 406.  The bike was free so no complaints there!  Just looking for some information to get it running before the next labor day weekend.  Thanks for any help!  If anymore info is needed let me know!

I have a ATK406 1989 model.  You are going to have to pull the side cover and look for broken pieces.  Parts are easy to find on E-Bay.  The Can Am used the same engine (Rotax)  so you may be able to find parts under that heading as well.  The 406 is going to be a great bike  you get I done.   I have 6 dirt bikes and consider my ATK the most reliable and best handling of the bunch. 

I will take a look into that.  Does that involve splitting the case though?  I'm not very familiar with case work.  None the less, this bike has been pushed to the side at the moment since I couldn't get any information! :(  Working on converting an 89' XT350 back to a dual sport for street legal use.  Got all the parts together.  Just need to get the inspections done and head to the dmv! :)  Once that's finished though I'll be back to the ATK and post here if I run into any issues.  I'm not very familiar with working on this back with the strange setup.  Haven't found any manuals either.  Only a parts list with diagrams.

So I took off the cover and prob was seen right away. One of tge gears has multiple teeth missing and there are metal shavings/chunks of metal in the case cover. I tried to move the starter to see where it is getti.g caught but i cant rly tell. How would I flush out everything before installing the part? Will post pics of teeth and the crack in the cover.CAM00667.jpgCAM00670.jpgCAM00668.jpgCAM00669.jpg

From the photo it looks like just the idler has teeth missing. But you need to check the back of the clutch and you will need to pull the clutch to replace the idler anyway. I've used diesel to flush trannys before with good success... The drain plug should have a magnet in it, just make sure you remove the drain plug (8mm hex). Good luck with it and like mentioned before, there are Can Am Rotax parts that are the same