Sign in to follow this  

CRF150f Petcock

Does the 2007 CRF150f have a replaceable filter inside the tank on the petcock?

I was doing my spring maintainence the other day.  I like to dump(into my truck) the old gas and replace it with fresh gas.

I disconnected the fuel line from the carb and stuck it into a gas can.  I noted a "no flow" condition in the RES position.

Same thing happened to me on my X last week.  I was able to replace the plastic filter inside the tank.  On the f, it looks like I have to replace the whole petcock assembly.  That's crazy.  I wonder if the X filter fits the f . . . really?  LOL

TomJV

Edited by tomjv

Plastic filter with mesh screen. You just need to flush it from the outlet side to clean it. No need to replace unless it is damaged.

The petcock itself may be clogged or have some corrosion happening.

I got started on this because I wanted to change the gas in my bike (s, the X did the same thing, oddly). 

The X was stalling and would deliver no gas on the RUN position, but worked fine on RES.  The F would deliever no gas on the RES position.  At this point I'm not sure if there was a blockage or the O ring was leaking and draining the entire tank on RUN position.   

Anyway, I ordered a new one for a '11 because you can't order the filter only on an '07.  You have to buy the whole petcock for $60 and mine's fine. 

We'll see if it fits.  The one for the X seems way too long to go in there.

I got the new one because the old one looks "melted" down near the bottom(the X looked that way too). 

The way the system works is, on the RUN position the petcock draws from the top of the filter via a tube, while on the RES position, it draws from the bottom.  The top and bottom are separated by a O ring.  I'm not sure if the O ring failed or I had a clog, but there's a problem there and the petcock is fine. 

TomJV