Sign in to follow this  

Rear sprocket teeth are bent ?

Don't why my rear sprocket teeth are getting bent and some are evan snapped off !! Any ideas??

Wheels straight ...chain is abit old it's a 2010 so iam assuming it's the original but the sprockets are actually new maybe a 3 months since I put them on ...

Wheels straight ...chain is abit old it's a 2010 so iam assuming it's the original but the sprockets are actually new maybe a 3 months since I put them on ...

Chain and sprockets should always be replaced together. Running a worn out chain on new sprockets will destroy the sprockets quickly. Running a new chain on worn sprockets will wear out the chain quickly.

Don't why my rear sprocket teeth are getting bent and some are evan snapped off !! Any ideas??

Most likely our chain is F*&%ked (extremely worn) 

How about some pics..?.....

Can you lift the chain away from the rear sprocket easily?....If yes, chain is as per first sentence... :)

• Like 2

Those sprockets are way past their useful life. There's hardly any teeth left on the rear. Time for new sprockets and probably a new chain too.

• Like 2

yep, all of that is toast. get a new front/rear sprocket, chain, and see the 'loctite fixes' in the faq section. it will keep your front sprocket from loosening up and damaging internal parts in your transmission. 

hang that rear sprocket on the wall, it's served the bike very well ! 

• Like 1

Just flip the sprocket around and run it till the teeth are straight again. Not sure what you can do about the flat spots on the chain tho.

• Like 3

The teeth don't bend, they wear away and what is left looks bent or hooked.  Compare to the new ones when you get them.  The steel of the chains does not stretch either. No such thing as a "stretched" chain to be technical.  The worn chain no longer has the pins 5/8" apart like they should be due to bushing wear in each pivot.  Now say the pins are 11/16" apart and as the chain loads onto the front sprocket teeth or leaves the rear sprocket this causes wear on the teeth as they are always rubbing against the tooth which they should not.  The chain should be just lifting out smoothly while the load is carried by the chain further around the sprocket to an area that is not chaining or dechaining.

Unfortunately this means these are now ruined sprockets too.

Normally as the chain slowly wears it slowly wears the sprockets to match.  Since this chain is already totally worn out it wore out the sprockets to match very quickly.

Edit:  This is an exception to the rule as the chain is so bad and the sprocket is so worn not only did the teeth wear away to points but yes the points have bent over too.   It is probably a good thing this was not a steel sprocket as the chain was so bad it might have been snapped while riding from trying to climb on top of the next teeth.

Edited by slowriding
  • Like 1

Bahah! WOW!

I've never seen a sprocket that worn out!

That is impressive!

Change the sprocket and chain before one of them let's go.

• Like 1