Sign in to follow this  

2007 TTR 125 Gearing Questions

So my buddy just picked up a 2007 TTR 125 and i am helping him get it back into shape. Everything is running perfectly after i performed all of the needed scheduled maintenance, but im pretty unhappy with the gearing.

When i start out in first gear i can only do like 1 mph and it seems so short it is unnecessary, and when i get to 5th gear i constantly find myself reaching for another gear. Is this problem something that a new rear sprocket will fix? Ive done a little research about sprockets and it seems like changing out the front sprocket might be too much of a headache (needing to grind down the casing to get it to fit). I know it is only 125cc so i want to make sure that the bike doesn't lose all of its get up and go. 

what are the sprocket sizes?

13/49 is stock IIRC and work well for the 125L.

I believe that they are stock front and rear.

Tomorrow i am taking the wheel in to get a new tire, i will count the teeth then and find out. if it is stock how many teeth should i go down?

what are the sprocket sizes?

13/49 is stock IIRC and work well for the 125L.

I just counted them last night and it turns out that the rear is 54 teeth. It does look very stock though. Any thoughts or suggestions?

13/54, stock for the L, my mistake, 13/49 is the small wheel.

If you don't like stock because its low (slower), then depending on availability and fit, you have only 1 choice, since your research found larger front requires grinding, not something I would do either, is a smaller rear sprocket.

1 tooth on the front =  about 3 on the rear, either of which make quite a difference.

so sounds like you're going to look for a 50-51 rear sprocket as your 1st experiment.

Usually the stock sprockets on TTR type trail bikes are optimal for most who buy and ride them thou.

1 tooth on the front =  about 3 on the rear, either of which make quite a difference.

so sounds like you're going to look for a 50-51 rear sprocket as your 1st experiment.

Thanks for the advice on how far to go. Time to start shopping for new sprockets!

I've got a 2005 large wheel. I had the same problem as you as I do a lot of longer distance off road cruising. I changed to a 13 front and 49 rear. Made quite a bit of difference in top gear without impacting much on the lower gears, which is good for tricky bits! You will need to shorten the standard chain length though - just a caution!

Edited by Joshua Macbeth