Sign in to follow this  

06 CRF250R - Rebuild, now won't shift right

Hey guys, post #1! Thanks in advance for any help. 

So I am finishing up a top/bottom end rebuild on my CRF. I did have to replace the right crankcase half, with a used one off an 05 (same Honda part number). Anyway, last night I got the engine back in the frame and just about have the whole bike back together. Now, I moved the shift drum by hand before putting the cases back together and it moved smoothly through everything. Then last night I put the shift lever on and try to click through the gears as one last check before I finish everything up, and I only get 1st, neutral, 2nd, 3rd. And 1st is a little weird as the shift lever kinda locks up mid-stroke until I jiggle it loose.

*I'll just say this right now, and maybe it's the problem and I'm an idiot, but I haven't put any oil in the transmission yet.* I went through all the gearshift linkage per the service manual twice and 99% sure its correct. 
The gearshift spindle did seem to go in a bit tight the last few inches when i installed it, not sure if that's a problem or not.

Could simply oil be the issue, just that everything needs to be lubed and then it should work ok? Or does this sound like a bigger problem that I'm going to have to split the cases again? 

Well, tore the bike back apart last night  :banghead:  .  I'm thinking that when I assembled it the first time, I didn't get the transmission in neutral first... So this time I made sure it was in neutral then put the cases back together and it shifts fine!  Not sure why that matters and I didn't see anywhere in the service manual where it said it must be in neutral, but problem solved :ride:

That's interesting, I didn't think it would matter either. I only split cases one time to replace a crank and I swore I would never do it again. Way to many doodads in there for my feeble mind.