Indian River Riding/Camping (Tomahawk Trails)

I'm going to be doing some camping at Jelly Stone Park in Indian River this summer.  I rode around their last summer and would like to try the Tomahawk trails this year.  Not knowing the area very well can anyone recommend a camp site that I can ride right out of to get onto the Tomahawk trails that is kid friendly as this is a family camping trip but dad gets to ride when the kids are napping!

On a side note.  Last year when I was there I got a Michigan trail pass.  I was not sure I mounted it right.  I just put half of the bike portion on the head light and rode like that.  Can I get away with that?

ORV Sticker is a pair of stickers this year. They are supposed to be mounted on the rear of the machine. Some of my bikes I was able to put them on the top/rear of the rear fender and one of them I had to put one sticker on either side. Mostly catch flack if you don't have them installed properly and DNR stops you.

There is a State Forest Campground in the middle of the three loops, it's rustic. Weber Lake State Forest Campground. Just NE of the parking lot.

Sturgeon River Campground is over on Trowbridge. Nice family campground, full hook and right on the river (tubing/canoe). They are on the far southeast corner of the Tomahawk system, a couple miles by dirt road to the C Loop (legal for non-plated bike). We use this for our National Dual Sport ride.

There's Burt Lake State Park on the NE corner of the A Loop, if you are plated, could ride out of there.

Finally, there's one more private campground in the middle of the three loops, but my deceased friend asked us to never support the place (he lived a house down from it when it went in).

Drummond Island has a new camping area... Its private... Hot showers ... Or just camp off of Sheep ranch road somewhere..... take a dip in the lake to wash up.. or if its to  cold go down to the Boat Club.... you can use theirs  for a few bucks;;  you can hit Crannberry on your way there..or Foreman or Birch or Kinross..

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

You guys were a big help so I have another question. The inlaws want us to camp at Petoskey state park. What is the closest trails to ride around there. From what I can see it's the tomahawk trails and I would guess that's about a 20-30 minute drive from the park.