Sign in to follow this  

stainless steel reusable oil filter?

I have not used them but seen many posts where people did and had no complaints about them. I prefer to just buy a 2 or 3 OEM filters in the spring and that usually gets me to the winter. I change filters every other oil change.

My opinion is they're junk based on the facts that they allow larger particles through and they're difficult to clean.  I use paper and change it every third oil change.  I change the oil every 500-700 miles.  I do pull the filter each time to dump the old oil out of it.  If I drop it in the dirt, I replace it and for that reason it only lasts two oil changes.  The owner's manual says they're good for 8,000 miles.

Hey guys, so I came across this http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=110497104375&alt=web

My question is simply this:

Has anyone used these, and are they any good?

Cheers

I'd never use one.  Why go through the hassle of cleaning the danged thing when you can buy a throw-away one that filters better for under $4.  That's crazy if you ask me.

Here ya go - a lifetime supply for $70 delivered:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-XR-400R-1996-2004-Oil-Filter-EMGO-10-99200-20-Pack-Case-/261068855227?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc8ea97bb&vxp=mtr

This following text on SS oil filters comes from the link that follows:

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html#OilFilters

There's a new type of filter being marketed, the "laser cut stainless steel filter," which we're told is "good for the life of your vehicle."

These filters typically have 35-40 micron holes, which is really not acceptable. They typically have 30-40 square inches of filter material, which is really not acceptable. A paper based element is a 3 dimensional filter - when a particle gets stuck deep in the filter element, oil can still flow around it. The stainless steel elements are 2 dimensional - when a particle gets caught, one of the holes is clogged up.

I don't see how you can assure that all the holes get cleared out when you clean these. Certainly simply soaking the filter in kerosene is not going to release particles that have been jammed into a hole at 60psi. Blowing the filter out with air sounds good, but a motorcycle filter is too small to let an air hose inside.

These stainless steel filters cost about $120, about 25 times what I pay for a Pure One. Since I use my filters for about 8,000 miles, that means I have to go 200,000 miles to break even. I've never put more than 60,000 miles on a vehicle.

I don't think this technology is ready to use yet. When the holes get down to 20 microns, and the surface area up to about 100-150 square inches, then I think I'll consider using one. Meanwhile, "good for the life of your vehicle" is not an impressive claim if the device shortens the life of your vehicle.

This following text on SS oil filters comes from the link that follows:

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html#OilFilters

Plus I think I read somewhere the OEM filter will bypass if it gets clogged meaning the oil will still flow. I don't think the SS's will.

There's a new type of filter being marketed, the "laser cut stainless steel filter," which we're told is "good for the life of your vehicle."

These filters typically have 35-40 micron holes, which is really not acceptable. They typically have 30-40 square inches of filter material, which is really not acceptable. A paper based element is a 3 dimensional filter - when a particle gets stuck deep in the filter element, oil can still flow around it. The stainless steel elements are 2 dimensional - when a particle gets caught, one of the holes is clogged up.

I don't see how you can assure that all the holes get cleared out when you clean these. Certainly simply soaking the filter in kerosene is not going to release particles that have been jammed into a hole at 60psi. Blowing the filter out with air sounds good, but a motorcycle filter is too small to let an air hose inside.

These stainless steel filters cost about $120, about 25 times what I pay for a Pure One. Since I use my filters for about 8,000 miles, that means I have to go 200,000 miles to break even. I've never put more than 60,000 miles on a vehicle.

I don't think this technology is ready to use yet. When the holes get down to 20 microns, and the surface area up to about 100-150 square inches, then I think I'll consider using one. Meanwhile, "good for the life of your vehicle" is not an impressive claim if the device shortens the life of your vehicle.

Plus I think I read somewhere the OEM filter willicon1.png bypass if it gets clogged meaning the oil will still flow. I don't think the SS's will.

Are you saying the SS filter installs without the spring?  The spring is the bypass feature and is part of Honda's design.

It's beneficial for the oil to bypass until it warms up.  It protects the filter from blowing out and keeps oil flowing if the filter gets clogged.   

Are you saying the SS filter installs without the spring? The spring is the bypass feature and is part of Honda's design.

It's beneficial for the oil to bypass until it warms up. It protects the filter from blowing out and keeps oil flowing if the filter gets clogged.

No it installs with the spring but there was something in the post I read about the ss not bypassing right. I still can't find that post. I remember it was right when the ss came out.

I think there are some good SS ones out there.  I have heard nothing but good things about the Scotts Performance ones.  Scotts are the damper people and do not make junk.  But buying one from a no name off ebay ?  Not so sure about that.  The ebay listing is copied word for word off the scotts site.  That would scare me too.  They do not even write their own copy for the ad for the filter they are trying to sell ?   Here is the first section:  The rest is all copied too.

Scotts web site: http://www.scottsonline.com/Product_Info.php?PartType=3

Superior Filtration:
This should be the last oil filter you will ever buy! Made from laser cut, medical grade, 304 stainless steel micronic filter cloth, this filter provides 200% more filter area in many cases. Most good paper filters will pass particles in the 90 to 95 micron range, and some tested, as much as 300 microns. Sand is about 125 microns and a white blood cell approximately 25 microns. Our stainless filter catches items down to 35 microns "absolute", which is about 3 times better than most good paper or brass filters. The pleat seam is welded, able to withstand up to 600 degrees in our filter, not glued, like paper filters.

eBAY LISTING:

Superior Filtration:
This should be the last oil filter you will ever buy! Made from laser cut, medical grade, 304 stainless steel micronic filter cloth, this filter provides 200% more filter area in many cases. Most good paper filters will pass particles in the 90 to 95 micron range, and some tested, as much as 300 microns. Sand is about 125 microns and a white blood cell approximately 25 microns. Our stainless filter catches items down to 35 microns "absolute", which is about 3 times better than most good paper or brass filters. The pleat seam is welded, able to withstand up to 600 degrees in our filter, not glued, like paper filters.

Well, thanks to you all for the replies. I think I'll opt for the paper ones. Was just wanting some insight...and got some cheers guys!