Sign in to follow this  

capped oil lines..help?

I just bought a 05 YZ250F. after getting it home and changing the oil, I noticed that not much oil came out of the frame drain, and oil looked brand new compared to the crankcase oil.I installed new filter I added 1.2 L of new oil. oil level showed about 2/3 in the sight window on side of case.Started bike, let run for a few min. then checked dipstick...nothing. I took off the protective plate in front of oil lines to check the filter screen but noticed both oil lines coming out of frame had rubber caps on them..they were blocked off. Can anyone tell me whythat was done and what it may mean for maint. etc? is that possibly a mod that someguys do? I also cleaned air box and filter. rode the bike around a bit and now it seems to have much more "popping" when letting off throttle. thanks for any help and advise.

It sounds like previous owner did a wet sump kit on the bike.

Do a search on wet sump conversion and see if yours sounds the same

Thanks..i believe thats what happend. I talked to a moto x race mech. He said some racers do that to save weight etc. Not sure the cost/benefit works out but i guess i will be extra dilligent about oil changes;-)

Interesting..what year did the sight glass start being used? Maybe 06 when they stopped using the frame res? I will have to check the vin# to see what i have. Thanks