Sign in to follow this  

Need a new clutch...convince me that I need to spend $900 on a Rekluse

My clutch is going :(

Hinson replacement is $179.00

I am struggling to find a reason why I should to spend $900 on a Rekluse.  Unfortunately for my bike, you need to buy the whole kit (core exp).

If it were $300, it would be no brainer...$500 and I'd probably still bite the bullet...but $900!?!?  That is like a small mortgage payment

I know everyone says it is the greatest thing around, but that is major chunk of change. 

Right now I never stall and hardly notice myself riding the clutch that often.  I don't get arm pump or tired hands from using the clutch.  I can ride for hours without issue.  Keep in mind I come from 2 strokes, so my new 4 stroke is SOOO much easier to ride and is like 1/2 the clutch work of the 2 stroke.  I could see if I was stalling a lot, or was getting arm pump from using the clutch.  It is a hydraulic clutch so it is even that much easier to pull than the cable clutch on my YZ250. 

If anything my YZ250 could seriously benefit from a Rekluse.  Anyone have a truly compelling reason why I should spend $900 vs. $180?

I am struggling to find a reason why I should to spend $900 on a Rekluse.  Unfortunately for my bike, you need to buy the whole kit (core exp).

If it were $300, it would be no brainer...$500 and I'd probably still bite the bullet...but $900!?!?  That is like a small mortgage payment

I know everyone says it is the greatest thing around, but that is major chunk of change. 

Right now I never stall and hardly notice myself riding the clutch that often.  I don't get arm pump or tired hands from using the clutch.  I can ride for hours without issue.  Keep in mind I come from 2 strokes, so my new 4 stroke is SOOO much easier to ride and is like 1/2 the clutch work of the 2 stroke.  I could see if I was stalling a lot, or was getting arm pump from using the clutch.  It is a hydraulic clutch so it is even that much easier to pull than the cable clutch on my YZ250. 

If anything my YZ250 could seriously benefit from a Rekluse.  Anyone have a truly compelling reason why I should spend $900 vs. $180?

Because every one says they are great !!!!!!!!!!!! LOL, sorta like pipes, sorta like Dunlops, sorta like, answer, sorta like, Henson, sorta like Rotella,sorta like!

Spend 900 dollars for some rider training and unlearn all the things you do wrong, become a better, safer, faster rider.

Depends on where, and what type of riding you tend towards. If mostly MX, open areas, faster sections, skip the recluse. However, if you tend to ride the tight, gnarly, steep, and technical stuff, you would not believe how much you would love that recluse. 

Depends on where, and what type of riding you tend towards. If mostly MX, open areas, faster sections, skip the recluse. However, if you tend to ride the tight, gnarly, steep, and technical stuff, you would not believe how much you would love that recluse. 

I ride trails and single track...no hills though.  I live in a very flat region with all sand (no rocks).  So even the slow going is still going.  I am not climbing over rocky sections or steep technical hills.  Here are 2 videos of the places I ride if that helps determine if I really need to spend the money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV_MriQrarM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCyKiAlVz1E

Nice video, great looking trails! No, I don't see the gnarly stuff that would make a Recluse a much needed item. Maybe not a $900 item. Not to say you wouldn't like one, if say , you were given one for Christmas or birthday. I have, near my home, trails with a ninety degree turn into a six foot long rock field, a 2.5 foot rock ledge at the end of that, with a ninety degree turn as soon as you get up the ledge. Not that it's that hard to get over that, it's just such a PITA to kill it while attempting it. That's where the Recluse earns it's keep. Bikes with electric start make some of that less aggravating, but a 4T with kick start is the worst to kill while hanging on a ledge. Then there is the age factor, us senior riders really like any thing that makes riding easier, less tiring, and reduces crashes. The Recluse on a KTM 300 is as close to cheating as you can get.

• Like 1

Nice video, great looking trails! No, I don't see the gnarly stuff that would make a Recluse a much needed item. Maybe not a $900 item. Not to say you wouldn't like one, if say , you were given one for Christmas or birthday. I have, near my home, trails with a ninety degree turn into a six foot long rock field, a 2.5 foot rock ledge at the end of that, with a ninety degree turn as soon as you get up the ledge. Not that it's that hard to get over that, it's just such a PITA to kill it while attempting it. That's where the Recluse earns it's keep. Bikes with electric start make some of that less aggravating, but a 4T with kick start is the worst to kill while hanging on a ledge. Then there is the age factor, us senior riders really like any thing that makes riding easier, less tiring, and reduces crashes. The Recluse on a KTM 300 is as close to cheating as you can get.

This is what I was thinking, especially in the terrain I ride.  Nice to have...yes!  $900 nice...well r maybe not.

Am I the only one to notice the steep price increase after their competition left the business? For my conditions I can't justify the price of the Rekluse products.

I have a core exp 2.0 on my yz250, and it has been the hands down BEST mod I've ever done to any dirt bike. I'll never have another bike without one.

A YZ250...yes agree 100%.  I also bet your Rekluse didn't cost $900 for the YZ.

• Like 1

I would like to see a manufacturer offer bikes with the Recluse, or a clutch of equal design, on new bikes. It would probably be a smaller company, like Beta or Sherco (both are great bikes, by the way). KTM and the Japanese companies probably don't feel the need to try anything so customer satisfying. Seems it would be more cost effective to come with the Recluse, and omit the stock clutch. I seem to recall some big manufacturers equipping bikes with FMF muffler/spark arrestors as new equipment.

Because every one says they are great !!!!!!!!!!!! LOL, sorta like pipes, sorta like Dunlops, sorta like, answer, sorta like, Henson, sorta like Rotella,sorta like!

Spend 900 dollars for some rider training and unlearn all the things you do wrong, become a better, safer, faster rider.

It wouldn't be worth it to me.  I love nasty riding, but I've l learned to keep the RPMs low and tranny oil fresh, that saves the clutch. 

My uncle pointed out that my air screw was running rich on my KTM, so we got that adjusted right and the bike started running sooo crisp.  Since getting the jetting right, I find myself creepy-crawling all over mountainsides, and when I get in a pinch, I clutch the bike with my weight on the rear fender, and the bike tracks so well to get traction.  Watch OffroadRider15F on Youtube, he's what you call  Pilot Rider, riding on the pilot jet all the time. 

That said, keeping the RPMs low and minimizing clutch abuse/slippage is what'll save your clutch.  How many hours of riding do you have on it?  My 300 has 190 hrs now, clutch still works fine (though I haven't inspected the plates).

• Like 1

It wouldn't be worth it to me.  I love nasty riding, but I've l learned to keep the RPMs low and tranny oil fresh, that saves the clutch. 

My uncle pointed out that my air screw was running rich on my KTM, so we got that adjusted right and the bike started running sooo crisp.  Since getting the jetting right, I find myself creepy-crawling all over mountainsides, and when I get in a pinch, I clutch the bike with my weight on the rear fender, and the bike tracks so well to get traction.  Watch OffroadRider15F on Youtube, he's what you call  Pilot Rider, riding on the pilot jet all the time. 

That said, keeping the RPMs low and minimizing clutch abuse/slippage is what'll save your clutch.  How many hours of riding do you have on it?  My 300 has 190 hrs now, clutch still works fine (though I haven't inspected the plates).

BIke has fuel injection, so it runs great and lugs at low RPM all day long.  I never stall the bike.  The only benefit I see with Rekluse is not having to pull the clutch in slow turns (which is not often and with the hydraulic clutch is already a breeze).  Based on what I read, I just at this point can't justify the big price tag.  If I were riding in rocks, hills, mud, more technical terrain....maybe.

Clutch only has 35 hours on it, so not sure why it is giving away so early.

If you are struggling to find a reason to spend $900 on a clutch (an overrated one at that), then you already know the answer is NO! Some people swear by them. Others tried them and removed them ASAP. I've never had one but at the current price tag of $900 I could find far more important upgrades to spend that $$ on. I personally love my hydraulic clutch on my KTM 300 and don't see the need to blow $900 on a rekluse.

• Like 1

And really, $900 for a fancy anti- stalling device and one less thing to worry about when riding??? It may benefit those who struggle with stalling and multi-tasking, but clutching is part of dirtbiking. When they come out with a fancy "auto-throttle voice activating system" I'll pass on that crap too. Just my opinion. No offense to those who swear by rekluses. :goofy:  

• Like 1