Sign in to follow this  

2 stroke woods bike project HELP!

I am in need of another 2 stroke , this time it's probably going to have to be a mx bike... I need something with enough power to do anything and climb long hills, and I'm not sure will the 125 have that? Even if I bore it to a 144? I've heard of a lot of people turning the yz250's and the rm250's into woods bikes with the big tank, suspension, flywheel weight, sprockets, etc. basically I wouldn't be able to afford a bike newer than about 2005 or 2006 budget is maybe around 1800-2000. "What bike should I buy?"

I am in need of another 2 stroke , this time it's probably going to have to be a mx bike... I need something with enough power to do anything and climb long hills, and I'm not sure will the 125 have that? Even if I bore it to a 144? I've heard of a lot of people turning the yz250's and the rm250's into woods bikes with the big tank, suspension, flywheel weight, sprockets, etc. basically I wouldn't be able to afford a bike newer than about 2005 or 2006 budget is maybe around 1800-2000. "What bike should I buy?"

I don't know about your area, but around here you can find a 2005-2006 KTM250XC in that price range. They are already set up for the trails without having to do the mods. Last year I bought a sweet 2006 250XC for $1650

• Like 1

Before you worry about spending a bunch of money on mods, I would get a bike and ride it first.  Then from there you can decide what you might like to fit your needs.  Usually suspension is the most important mod anyone can do.  From there, it is all preference type things.  I have a 96 CR250 that I ride, pretty much all stock except for the suspension, gearing, and PC Works pipe.  Loads of fun!

the mod's on the YZ or RM cost you another 1500.

Buy a KTM 200 / 250 2T.

For me the most important part on a woods bike is the rear tire. Has to be 140/80/18 Enduro tire + tubliss.

Edited by dmikel

I currently have a ktm 200 but need to sell it to get a bike with a title so I can put it on my insurance

I second the KTM purchase. To build a decent MX bike into a woods bike will cost you quite a bit, and on a limited budget, orange is the way to go.

Many people use MX bikes for woods riding. You could probably find one already set up that way pretty easily. So, you don't have to limit yourself to just trying to find a KTM you can afford.

I don't know about your area, but around here you can find a 2005-2006 KTM250XC in that price range. They are already set up for the trails without having to do the mods. Last year I bought a sweet 2006 250XC for $1650

Where are you that you find them that cheap? Are the 200s that cheap too? here even a 2000 250exc goes for 2k.

Where are you that you find them that cheap? Are the 200s that cheap too? here even a 2000 250exc goes for 2k.

Ya same here my 01 200exc sold for 1800

I recommend trying to find a KTM under $3k. I just bought my girlfriend a 2005 YZ250 for $2k and spent another $2k making a friendly trail bike. It is a great bike though.

I recommend trying to find a KTM under $3k. I just bought my girlfriend a 2005 YZ250 for $2k and spent another $2k making a friendly trail bike. It is a great bike though.

Wht did you put on it that made it go up to 2000 in parts I put a heavy weighted flywheel on mine and hand guards I'm gonna put full fmf pipes and a bigger tank on mine it's an 05yz250

Wht did you put on it that made it go up to 2000 in parts I put a heavy weighted flywheel on mine and hand guards I'm gonna put full fmf pipes and a bigger tank on mine it's an 05yz250

Ok, not all 2000 was necessary for someone that can handle the kind of power the Yamaha delivers. Suspension work, handguards, a skid plate, a G2 throttle cam, an O-ring chain, and a heavy flywheel that was replaced with a Rekluse Pro Autoclutch. But, we still don't have a big gas tank or an 18" rear wheel

Edited by sierrarider