Sign in to follow this  

Bike for 12 year old

Ok by boy started out on a xr50r honda and rode it till the bike was way to small. I upgraded him to a 2014 honda crf110f it is a nice bike and he has built up the currage to hit bigger jumps. While watching him I noticed the suspension is real bad when he lands he has trouble keeping traction. I looked and the rear shock looks like something from a cheap Chinese bike. The swing arm setup is like the pw80. I would like to get him something that he can jump and have a little more power but keep it a 4 stroke because I don't think a 2 stroke will be good for him and his riding habits.

I have looked and all I really see is the kawasaki kx65 or ktm 65 wich are both 2 stroke.

Any suggestions on a 4stroke bike with a seat hight under 30" preferably around 26" that is made for motocross.

Ok I've been looking at the 2014 kawasaki klx140 any thoughts

DON'T GO TRAIL BIKES their suspension sucks and is basically all the same... Yz85 or if you really want to keep fourstroke go crf150r small wheel and notice the R not F

DON'T GO TRAIL BIKES their suspension sucks and is basically all the same... Yz85 or if you really want to keep fourstroke go crf150r small wheel and notice the R not F

Agreed the KLX140 will not be good for jumping. But the Crf150r would be great.

The only motocross bikes that size would be the 65 two strokes. The smallest four stroke motocross bike would be the crf150r, but the 150r would probably be too much power for him. I have seen klx140s on craigslist that have kx100 front forks and rear suspension which would be good for jumping, but the seat height might be too tall. I`ve also seen someone put a ttr125 motor into yz85 chassis and if you put 65 tires on the 85 frame the seat height wouldn`t be any taller than 30 inches and it would be great for jumping.

• Like 1

Get an 85 or a 110 he'll outgrow a 65 in a year and it wont be worth your money. Also 65s have lighter suspension than 85s so the suspension may still be too weak.

I was looking at the kx65. He has a habit of riding in one gear on his 110 honda and with it being a 4t and no clutch it's more forgiving. If i do go with a 2t he will have to learn to shift to keep the rpm, but he has to learn some time I guess.

We have a 2012 yz85 just bought it new a month and a half ago. This thing is way to high strung for him to get on. We ride sections of road to get to trails and the 85 has a wild power band and likes to stand up on the road. If the power band could be toned down it may be a good bike.

I was looking at the kx65. He has a habit of riding in one gear on his 110 honda and with it being a 4t and no clutch it's more forgiving. If i do go with a 2t he will have to learn to shift to keep the rpm, but he has to learn some time I guess.

We have a 2012 yz85 just bought it new a month and a half ago. This thing is way to high strung for him to get on. We ride sections of road to get to trails and the 85 has a wild power band and likes to stand up on the road. If the power band could be toned down it may be a good bike.

A heavier flywheel could help tame the power

Well thanks for all the advice, going to get the kx65 so he can learn the clutch and shifting better. I have other kids that need to learn it as well so it will be a good training bike.

Once he learns I'll probably put him on the yz85.

As for the honda Honda 150r I think that will be a good bike for my 14 year old doughter. She is a natural on a bike. She also wants to do motocross