Sign in to follow this  

New rear sprocket new chain?

I've been wanting to get a 49 tooth for the rear of my '09, but I'm not sure if I would need a new chain or not. I bought it used with an aftermarket o-ring chain. It's not very loose and the rear axle is almost all of the way forward. 

Would adding a tooth in the rear add that much to the length of the chain? Do you think it would fit with my current chain or is a new chain needed? My current chain is in great condition so I don't want to buy a new one. 

Another question kinda on topic I have is my current chain slack is just over 1.75", but the manual suggests 2-2.3". Is the ~.25" going to cause excessive wear or serious damage? Again, I bought it like this so I don't have extra links to add to the chain and the rear axle is all of the way forward. 

My oring chain lasted forever , if you tighten it will stretch , if you tighten it will stretch again , ect , 2 to 3 fingers at back of chain slider bike off the ground is what I do , yes if the wheel is pushed forward and you put a 49 and you have a 50 it will bring it back some , personally I like my wheel somewhere near the middle range of adjustment so I can fit a tooth larger or smaller sprocket without changing the chain. Just my 02!

All depends what you currently have on.

If 50 or bigger then the 49 will work perfectly as you will get the correct chain slack and wont need to change the chain length.

If 48 or smaller then you will need a new chain or you can run 2 master links to get the correct length.  

All depends what you currently have on.

If 50 or bigger then the 49 will work perfectly as you will get the correct chain slack and wont need to change the chain length.

If 48 or smaller then you will need a new chain or you can run 2 master links to get the correct length.  

Yea I guess I should have mentioned the bike is stock so I currently have a 48 tooth.