Sign in to follow this  

Yz426f too big?

In regards to your thread title...... If you have to ask if a bike is too big, then it probably is.

How old are you?  How long have you been riding?  A 125 would be a good step up, but they aren't always as trail friendly as some would like.  Doesn't mean they can't be made to work, but it just depends on your skill level and budget for any mods after bike purchase.  

Going from a 230 (soft under-powered trail bike) to a fire breathing 426 is a big jump, especially after only a year of riding. The 125 probably weighs 50 lbs less, and makes 50% more power (not to mention the suspension), so you should be a good fit for it. It'll teach you proper riding techniuqes without trying to kill you every time you whack the throttle open, and it'll be easier on the wallet.

Sandpit riding will not be an issue either.

Going from a 230 (soft under-powered trail bike) to a fire breathing 426 is a big jump, especially after only a year of riding. The 125 probably weighs 50 lbs less, and makes 50% more power (not to mention the suspension), so you should be a good fit for it. It'll teach you proper riding techniuqes without trying to kill you every time you whack the throttle open, and it'll be easier on the wallet.

Sandpit riding will not be an issue either.

I second this. I believe EVERY ONE should at least own a 125. For some part of their riding life. It teaches you so many skills, and how to properly maintain a bike. It'll be loads more power than your 125. But it'll teach you how to ride. Then get a 250f :D

replace a 125 piston at about 25 hours is my recommendation.  It may vary based on how hard you ride though.  Good news is it costs about $100 for a new top end on it.

replace a 125 piston at about 25 hours is my recommendation. It may vary based on how hard you ride though. Good news is it costs about $100 for a new top end on it.

25 hours is a little on the super safe side, but when you open it for the first time inspect the piston, and run the next one longer...
  • Like 1

25 hours is a little on the super safe side, but when you open it for the first time inspect the piston, and run the next one longer...

woods ridden you are probably correct.  I replace my 265 piston around 50 hours which many consider super safe too. 

woods ridden you are probably correct.  I replace my 265 piston around 50 hours which many consider super safe too. 

50 hours on a hopped up motor is not too excessive. On my KTM 125, I replaced it every 50-60 hours if i remember correctly.

Top end is only $100? I thought it was a bit more pricy. Not as bad as 4 strokes though

Yeah, and if something goes completely south, you're only out a couple hundred, not parting the bike out to cover your losses...

But 25 hours isn't that many, how long can you go if u really want to

If you are a beginner woods rider, you can go at least 50, and probably 70 hours. As an experiment, pull the cylinder after 40 hours and take a peek...