Sign in to follow this  

An Alternative to Honda tool 07724-001A100, I'm not paying $80!

Hey Guys,

An alternative to this tool? I don't have a gear to cut but geez I could probably buy a new gear and cut it for less than than $80 and a 4-week wait. A gear suggestion?

Tool Alternative.JPG

One person used a penny to lock the gears, hmmmm...........

Thanks, Steve

Tool Alternative.JPG

Penny, crush washer, piece of brass, etc....anything that is softer (metal hardness wise) than the gears.

Jim.

• Like 1

<<**Stay Frosty**>>

So like is someone an aliens fan?   I like it as a tag line :thumbsup:

Not sure why I never can seem to come up with the good ones....

Jim.

I must be the only idiot who owns one.

The only specialty tools I own for the honda 450 is that gear holder and the flywheel puller. They both make the motor work easier.

Edited by StonedInNy

I have the gear jammer. I quit using it. I think I would like it more if it had a little handle like the honda tool.

I agree about the new pennies they do seem softer.

No holding tool necessary with an impact wrench... can just use your hands.  That said, I have also used a penny in the past so that will work as well.

No holding tool necessary with an impact wrench... can just use your hands.  That said, I have also used a penny in the past so that will work as well.

I'm guessing you use your impact wrench to "torque" them down as well???

spanner sockets LOVE impact duty.....

p.s. you use a spanner socket to take apart and re-assemble the primary section of the 450 Honda engine.

p.p.s. I think I will TIG an accelerator pump rod to me gear jammer for a handle.

Edited by Dust_Devil

I'm guessing you use your impact wrench to "torque" them down as well???

Uh...nope :)  Torque wrench... It's only 47 lbf-ft... put in gear and stand on the rear brake. 

Rough crowd here sometimes :devil:

• Like 2

Uh...nope :)  Torque wrench... It's only 47 lbf-ft... put in gear and stand on the rear brake. 

Rough crowd here sometimes :devil:

That might work for the flywheel nut...but for the Primary nut at 80 ft/lbs I'm thinking not so much. Also the engine is often taken out of the bike (when splitting the cases...LOL) and the in gear and rear brake set up doesn't work so well.

I learned the hard way (once). I had to split the case on a XR600 and removed the engine from the frame before removing the flywheel, clutch and other hard to remove parts. Wrestled with the engine on my work bench with a flywheel holder, clutch holder, etc...while I hated and cursed myself for lack of foresight!

• Like 1