Stock Chain Guide vs Aftermarket Case Saver?

How well do the stock chain guides function as case savers?  Should I get an aftermarket case saver, or is that just replacing something that will function the same?

Obviously the two things have different names, but the "Case Saver" name might be a product of marketing.

Anyone have experience with a broken chain running the stock chain guide?

See picture of my stock chain guide.

20140524_140259.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wondering about this as well. Stock one appears plastic. But I figure honda wouldn't bother if it didn't work. Would they?

Looking at your pic. Yours is metal looking, my 04 looks like grey plastic. Yours looks as good as an aftermarket one to me.

Edited by Saratj1

How well do the stock chain guides function as case savers? Should I get an aftermarket case saver, or is that just replacing something that will function the same?

Obviously the two things have different names, but the "Case Saver" name might be a product of marketing.

Anyone have experience with a broken chain running the stock chain guide?

See picture of my stock chain guide.

Case savers I found are more nessesity for quads. The stock chain guide (on the counter sprocket) is suffeciant because your not snapping chains on the norm and the stock guide will hold back any slap that could bind on the case. Not saying there not great for dirtbikes too and won't hurt anything by using it. On a quad breaking a chain is common if racing.

That metal piece resides behind the plastic piece, all stock...

Dead right. I just cant see even that piece of metal doing much help in case of a chain blow etc. The force placed in that confined area would be too much for that little metal to help. I just ordered a Hammerhead one to replace my stock.

FYI there is no real 100% protection from a broken center case from a chain. I've heard of people even using a hammerhead case saver, where the chain broke the case saver off and took out a chunk of centercase with it. I am still using a hammerhead saver though. I guess its better than nothing..

The best case saver is keeping a good chain on your bike and maintaning it well. I use a clipless master link, have heard stories of the clips inadvertainly coming of while backing the bike off the trailer.  They where required on our road race bikes.