2014 Honda CRF450X idle problems!

So, I have taken the bike to Ocotillo and Glamis. Bike rode just fine both trips. However, towards the end of the last trip, I noticed that the bike would not idle even when warmed up sufficiently. It is a Califonia bike, so I imagine it has a lot of restrictions on the carberator and such.

Problem now:

I can get the bike started after an exhausting amount of effort with the choke on. Once it has run for about thirty seconds (manual says 15) on choke, I take the choke off and hold the throttle to keep the bike running. But no matter how warm the bike gets, it will not idle. I have been adjusting the idle screw on the carb about a half teun everytime it dies on me, but nothing has changed. Ultimately, once I have gone through about three to four of these cycles, the bike will not start for the life of me.

I have checked spark, compression, and fuel. I imagine I need to either re-jet the carb, or adjust the carb. ANyone else having these problems? ANyone have any ideas? I refuse to have the shop look at it for $96. I am going away on a trip soon, so I don;t have a whole lot of time. If anyone has a for sure answer I would appreciate it!

-Rageway.

10290660_226092814255960_6491617073858112711_n.jpg

Start by removing the CARB and check all passages for debris then clean and replace anything that looks suspect. You probable just got some crud in the pilot circuit. And if you haven't done so yet, now would be a good time to re-jet the carb too.

Edited by crazybrother
  • Like 3

Start by removing the CARB and check all passages for debris then clean and replace anything that looks suspect. You probable just got some crud in the pilot circuit. And if you haven't done so yet, now would be a good time to re-jet the carb too.

This!

• 2 months later...

Did you manage to get this sorted? I have the same problem after leaving the bike idle for a few months. I checked the pilot jet and it was clear. This is also the same symptoms as a stator on its way out as there is insufficient output at lower revs but ok once the revs are built up with the throttle open.