Sign in to follow this  

What do you guys think of this bike.

Found this 2008 YZ 250 F on Craigslist I guess the bike has a compleat new motor and 53 hours on the bike its self. Its time to upgrade to a 4 stroke and this one seems like a possibility.

http://duluth.craigslist.org/mcy/4476211187.html

In the pics there's an hour meter on the frame above the radiator fill cap. Ask how many hours are on it. That will tell you if the "less than 2 tanks" is a true statement or not. Which I find is hard to believe for a 08. Also I think $3100 is a little much to ask for a 08. I saw a few 2010-2011 250fs on craigslist around me for 2500

I assumed 2 tanks since last rebuild.  You need to see it up close if you're interested.

List of what I look for: Start at front and go back....

1. Sit on the bike, grab the bars and with feet on the ground, shake the bars. Loose bearings will show upicon1.png as bike wiggle.
2. While there, check the levers out for worn linkages /pivots wobble.
3. Bike on stand now, grab front wheel and fork, move side to side to check for wheel bearings. Check brake pads while there. Should be plenty of pad.
4. Move the fork side to side, checkingicon1.png for loose steering stem bearings. While there, look for oil running down the fork tubes, leaking seals.
5. Is the seat cover torn?
6. Bent shift lever or brake levers? Bent handle bars? Leaking master cylinders?
7. Move to the left side and bend down to the chain. Push up on the bottom run, pull back on the chain at the rear sprocket at about the 3:00 poistion. Pull the chain away from the sprocket. Does it pull out, how much? More than 1/2 tooth, replace the set, for about 125. Also look at the teeth and see if they are bent pointing forward when looking at the top of the rear sprocket.
8. Look at the tires. Plenty of knob at the center, or all gone, less than 1/2" left.... new tires. Especially on the front. The front tire is what keeps you up and balanced. The rear can slide around some, but if the front slides out, you WILL go down. Buy the most expensive front you can afford to avoid falls.
9. Check the throttle and clutch cable operation. Should be smooth, not stick, no noise. Both should snap back and not drag.
10. Plastics... your decision is to replace or not if scratched. About 125 for a set on sale.
11. Anything else you can think of.
12. Check (with permission) the air filter. This is a biggie. If the PO doesn't do air filter maintenance, he may not do frequent oil changes either.
13. Crank it. Listen for noises, smoke, warm up time, idle. The clutches on these bike will sometimes drag or have a narrow engagement point. It is a race bike so I overlook these. Both my YZs have narrow engagement. WR doesn't.

Remember that this is an investment that will depreciate. Don't be disappointed in what you find out there, and if you have mechanical skills, don't be afraid of tearing into one unless its an older one.
Good luck.

I did a little more digging and sounds like the motor is like brand new with 50 some hours but was from a very new 2008 bike stolen from a buddy of his and only the motor carb and electronics were recovered by the police recently then he put the motor into another 2008 basket case bike. This one sends up a red flag to me. The bike has never been registered with DNR trail tags either for some reason which also makes me wonder. I have to walk away from this one.

I defiantly want a newer YZ250F or a WR250F I'm going to keep looking.

Edited by jcm2112

I did a little more digging and sounds like the motor is like brand new with 50 some hours but was from a very new 2008 bike stolen from a buddy of his and only the motor carb and electronics were recovered by the police recently then he put the motor into another 2008 basket case bike. This one sends up a red flag to me. The bike has never been registered with DNR trail tags either for some reason which also makes me wonder. I have to walk away from this one.

I defiantly want a newer YZ250F or a WR250F I'm going to keep looking.

50hrs on a motor is not new it was new 50hrs ago....lol. But yea the rest of that is sketchy sounding as all hell. I would keep on looking, haha.

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF