Sign in to follow this  

trials boots

I just recently started riding trials and so far I've bean using my moto boots and though that I'd like a bit more feel through my boots but I think I'm getting used to them more each time out. Does anyone have an opinion on this? Will I be impressed by using a proper trial boot? They don't seem as protective but that would be how you get more feel out of them I guess. Whats the pros and cons of the different brands and styles of trials boots and what are the more cost effective boots on the market? Seams most have tread on the sole. Not sure if that would be good for moving my feet around on the pegs but would be nice when walking a line and maybe not falling on my ass lol.

Thanks.

Trials specific boots have no heal and are more flexible than mx boots, I have a pair of Forma Boulder boots that I've used for 100 + riding hours and have protected my feet and shins well they retail for £165.00 in the UK and are mid price range of what's on offer.

They ar'nt water proof mind and the leather skags - skuffs easy, get a size bigger than what you would need and ware some knee length sealskin socks to keep your feet dry.

I've never noticed the tread getting in the way, probably helps keep your feet on the pegs and like you say definitely required scaling greasy embankments :thumbsup:

I've been used a well worn pair of tech 3s for the last 3 years. I don't have as good a foot peg feel as I do in sneakers but since the stitching has let loose on the back of the ankle I have lots of ankle flex. There's also plenty of times I'm glad I have the protection of stuff toe box and sole when I catch a toe on a rock or log. I might have broken a toe or 2 in trials boots.

Would my riding improve with a trials boot? Likely but I can spend $400 on gas and notice a bigger difference than new boots.

im hoping to get my Gaerne Classics before the weekend. going riding Sunday, ill let you know how I like them.

like you I have been using older clapped out moto boots. I take the ankle strap out so I can get a little flex but they were always stiff and, now they are starting to hurt my feet when im walking sections. People in my trials club said any trials boot is well worth it. ill let you know what I think next week.

Night and day difference. No way I would even try to ride with moto boots. I have the gaerne oiled boots, but would like to try the alpinestars from the recommendations from the champs in my club. Besides the feel and flexibility trials boots have, they have gummy soles for walking sections and climbing around. You don't need ad much protection as moto boots have in trials.

Edited by v8rman

You don't need ad much protection as moto boots have in trials.

It depends how and where you ride along with shoe size. I never need extra the protection in sections but I end whacking my size 14 pretty hard damn near every trial on the loop.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to eventually get a set of trial boots but for this season I'll keep using my moto boots witch are a couple year old sg12's. I like the ankle support for when I stab a foot as I have a bad ankle and suck at trials.

It depends how and where you ride along with shoe size. I never need extra the protection in sections but I end whacking my size 14 pretty hard damn near every trial on the loop.

There's no doubt that moto boots offer more protection, but the trade off is not worth it to me. There is no way I could manipulate the brake and shifter and keep my size 12 feet situated on the pegs wit my sg 12s.

I wear my Moto boots for trail riding- I need the protection.

I have some Gaerne balance oiled trial boots- much better for feel and control,

Now that I have a LHRB I don't need the feel as much, but still makes it easier.

Mark

(Very much a trials novice)

Now that I have a LHRB I don't need the feel as much, but still makes it easier.

Mark

(Very much a trials novice)

I've never heard of that on a trials bike. Do you have an auto clutch?

I've never heard of that on a trials bike. Do you have an auto clutch?

No, I have a Clake II.

It has two levers, both in the same plane. One is a clutch, the other a rear brake. It retains the foot brake and a simple screw allows the LHRB lever to actuate the clutch.

Cool stuff!

59545c15a7b0a14f2d441e52f8597023_zps440e

No, I have a Clake II.

It has two levers, both in the same plane. One is a clutch, the other a rear brake. It retains the foot brake and a simple screw allows the LHRB lever to actuate the clutch.

Cool stuff!

59545c15a7b0a14f2d441e52f8597023_zps440e

Cool, I've never seen one. It would be interesting to try. Did you keep the foot brake as well?

Cool, I've never seen one. It would be interesting to try. Did you keep the foot brake as well?

This version is pretty new, the other styles are quite a bit different.

Yes, I kept the footbrake, but never use it.

I'm still getting used to using both fingers for fine control, on the trail I just use the brake. Had a great ride today!

• Like 1

So I got a good deal on a set of alpinstar trial boots. Tried them out yesterday and they feel great. They are still breaking in and seam to be breaking in fast with good feel on the pegs and break. Way better then my moto boots and great for walking around. I'd highly recommend them.

So I got a good deal on a set of alpinstar trial boots. Tried them out yesterday and they feel great. They are still breaking in and seam to be breaking in fast with good feel on the pegs and break. Way better then my moto boots and great for walking around. I'd highly recommend them.

Care to share your good deal???

bought through a local shop at about 20 % off. Didn't think I was going to bother buying boots this year but I wore my work boots for a ride then couldn't ride as well with my moto boots so I went and looked into trial boots and decided buy them

• Like 1

I got a pair of alpinestars with my bike. Coming from alpinestars mx boots, I can't believe how comfortable the trials boots are. No problems walking around with them on. Perfect amount of flex and protection when riding my gasgas.

• Like 1