Sign in to follow this  

Carb: What does THIS do? (see pic)

So my bike is back up & running after being put away last year without draining the carb (D'OH!!!!). I took it apart cleaned it all up & of course it's still got a little pop on decel. I'm going to rejet it, check for leaks, adjust fuel screws, etc. until I get it running just right but I have a question. When taking my carb apart I noticed a part that I've never noticed before & it appears to be adjustable. It kind of looks like a throttle position sensor on a car engine but that seems odd for a dirt bike. So my question is, what does the part pointed to by the red arrow below do?

14153739809_021805c6f9_z.jpg

That is a TPS, no adjustments there.

But it is adjustable so my question is how much change can it make it make?

But it is adjustable so my question is how much change can it make it make?

It doesn't affect the a/f mix, it might mellow out our make it snap a little harder if you adjust it, but it won't do much.

It is the throttle position sensor and has to be adjusted to the correct position as per the manual. 

I guess I need to go dig up my service manual.

Does anyone happen to know what the service manual says about adjusting the TPS?

If you havntessed with it don't , they are factory set and should have some tamper white paint on the screws to identify if it was adjusted!!!

It's basically a potentiometer that let's the Cdi know the position of the throttle opening , on carbed bikes its for ignition advance , on FI bikes its for the fuel and ecu!!!

Edited by Whatwentwrong