Sign in to follow this  

Yz125 idling for a minute then dies. Help!

I'm looking at buying a guys yz125 from 2001 and he told me it runs real strong other than it dying after sitting in idle for about a minute. What could be causing this?

There is no need for a 2 stroke racing motorcycle to idle for any length of time, and there is even one school of thought that you are able to get better jetting overall if you set the bike not to idle. You don't want a race bike to die immediately as soon as the throttle is closed, but they don't need to sit and idle.  Over the years I've had bikes that idle and don't idle, and it never affected the way I rode the bike.  Now that I think about it, of the three bikes I have now (2 YZs and a KTM), I'm not even sure if they would idle for any length of time once they are warmed up, because I've never tried.  It's not like I'm sitting at a stop light on my YZ 125, or stuck in rush hour traffic on my KTM 250 sx.  If I was looking at a bike to buy, the way it idles would not be a concern.  Ride the bike and see how it runs.  Check the condition of the air filter.  Put the bike on a stand and check for play in all the bearings (get a buddy to help).  If the owner will let you, pull the pipe and look at the condition of the piston up through the exhaust port.  Check the true of the wheels and if all the spokes are tight. These are the kind of things your want to look at.

Edited by rpt50

^^^ This is my experience as well. 2 strokes don't like to idle long. Seems like they load up on gas in the cylinder and after 30 seconds to a minute they stall. You *can* make them idle long term if you turn up the speed and perhaps adjust the pilot jet and air screw specifically for idle, but this may not give the best off idle performance. I believe this is typical and normal for these engines.